Worklog GB Boy Colour

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Alright, so while playing with the GBBC today, I learned something I was unaware of previously.

When the batteries get low, it causes the system to act a bit screwy. Usually causes the console to just reset. After looking it up, I found out the before mentioned that it's the low batteries.

However, this just screwed my Link's Awakening save. It reset just after I had gotten the Full Moon Cello. So I thought I had to do it again, but lo and behold the boss was still beaten, and the Cello was gone, so I thought it saved and all was well. But no, not at all, it did save, but it shows I beat the boss, but the Cello isn't in the inventory, and I can't get into the next dungeon either, the "Moblins Attacked The Town" event isn't triggered.

It happened while I played Pokemon also, causing Shockslayr to no longer be in my party.

:(

I have one of these things, I've experienced the same problems. I figure you could try and put some kind of low voltage circuit in their to prevent this or a regulator of some sort to try and keep the battery voltage constant enough to maintain full function.

For you and anyone else interested, a few things I learned is that these things are essentially un-overclockable and I was only able to jump the speed a small amount around 25hz IIRC.

It can be pro-sound modded for anyone who does Chiptune music but I highly recommend against this thing for any type of music work because the audio reproduction isn't accurate to the original Gameboy.

While you can't fit it in an official Gameboy Color housing as stated earlier, you can put an official GBC d-pad in inplace of the really ugly and uncomfortable one that comes standard. I want to say it took a small modification on the plastic but I can't remember, this was a few years ago. I believe I also replaced the rubber contacts under the buttons with those from an official GBC with relaitve ease which made playing it more comfortable (the stock ones are really really stiff.)

also IIRC, I broke the stock speaker and put a DS Lite speaker in and it worked fine with a very small modification the housing, so you could probably get better/louder audio from it if you did this in combination with a small audio amp inside the stock speaker was pretty trash.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Thanks for the detailed review, AC. Boo on the lack of overclocking. I'd still like to get one of these when I have more funds, just to play around with, but I can't stand playing OG Pokémon at 1x speed anymore.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
I have one of these things, I've experienced the same problems. I figure you could try and put some kind of low voltage circuit in their to prevent this or a regulator of some sort to try and keep the battery voltage constant enough to maintain full function.

For you and anyone else interested, a few things I learned is that these things are essentially un-overclockable and I was only able to jump the speed a small amount around 25hz IIRC.

It can be pro-sound modded for anyone who does Chiptune music but I highly recommend against this thing for any type of music work because the audio reproduction isn't accurate to the original Gameboy.

While you can't fit it in an official Gameboy Color housing as stated earlier, you can put an official GBC d-pad in inplace of the really ugly and uncomfortable one that comes standard. I want to say it took a small modification on the plastic but I can't remember, this was a few years ago. I believe I also replaced the rubber contacts under the buttons with those from an official GBC with relaitve ease which made playing it more comfortable (the stock ones are really really stiff.)

also IIRC, I broke the stock speaker and put a DS Lite speaker in and it worked fine with a very small modification the housing, so you could probably get better/louder audio from it if you did this in combination with a small audio amp inside the stock speaker was pretty trash.

I was thinking of attempting to replace the stock battery compartment with a built in li-ion battery w/indicator.

I didn't think about overclocking at all honestly.

I did see the prosound mod was something that could be done, but I haven't looked into it directly yet because my initial idea as for replacing the built in flash cart.

I have a GBC housing for something else I was attempting and saw that it wasn't able to accommodate the GBBoy Colour's board inside. I was looking at replacing the stock buttons with some from my GBC housing set, but no of my children got into my desk space and lost them on me.

As for the speaker, I hadn't realized it, as I use headphones most of the time, and the headphones sound like trash themselves because they're the 99¢ ones from Walmart :/

I assume a Pro Sound mod for this is out of the question?

Edit: Didn't see the last post. The li-on battery is a good idea. What about case mods?

splain

Any progress on this? I'm very interested in the dual-cart idea. I should pick up a GBBC and study it. I tried to mod a DMG to have 2 cart slots, but I couldn't work out a non-cumbersome way to switch between the 2 carts. I tried switching the ground pin (#32 I think) but that didn't quite do the trick. Neither slot could boot a game if the other slot had one too.