Worklog First portable, Ashida

Portables
Nada, Ziltch.
Alrighty.

Hello all, very excited to be getting into portables and to become a part of the community. I am going to be doing the Ashida in this build. This is my first take at portables, so all help is welcomed.

Goals by next update:

Get as much of the supplies I can get rn

Get ready to trim the wii

Soft mod the wii

Last edited:
Portables
Nada, Ziltch.
So, as of now I have home brewed the wii and have an Amazon cart with tools ready. Just want to get some confirmation that everything looks ok before I hit order :)
IMG_9BC8A254007D-1.jpegIMG_835BE33184D7-1.jpegIMG_28C4CDF1EBEA-1.jpegIMG_50EF18F13E89-1.jpegIMG_DDBD8B31B7A8-1.jpeg

Also I found this micro sd to usb on the Walmart app. I can’t seem to find the Kingston one so would this work okay in place of?

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So, as of now I have home brewed the wii and have an Amazon cart with tools ready. Just want to get some confirmation that everything looks ok before I hit order :)
View attachment 28858View attachment 28859View attachment 28860View attachment 28861View attachment 28862

Also I found this micro sd to usb on the Walmart app. I can’t seem to find the Kingston one so would this work okay in place of?
That soldering iron will probably burn out within half a year, but it should get the job done. Everything else looks fine, but I'd get some black jacketed 22AWG wire as well so you can more easily follow what wire is for what. Some no-clean tacky flux would be wise too + some 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the PCBs after soldering.

I have been told that that Nokia adapter is almost identical to the Kingston adapter, so chances are it'll work fine with a genuine Samsung EVO microSD

Portables
Nada, Ziltch.
Cool, thanks for the recommendations! I changed some things out based on your what you said:

I got rid of the other soldering iron and soldering tip cleaner for this\/
IMG_2700.jpeg

I also added some 22AWG wire, tacky no clean flux, and some 99% isopropyl alcohol.

I guess my only question at this point would be Would it be alright if I use a Sandisk micro sd card instead of a Samsung Evo one. I have used Sandisk in the past for all my homebrew applications, I just don’t know if this would be different somehow.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
RVLoader is very picky about storage, and I am prejudiced against all Sandisk products. Sandisk cards don't work well with some adapters and we don't have much info about the Nokia adapter, so you'll have to try it and find out

Portables
RVLoader is very picky about storage, and I am prejudiced against all Sandisk products. Sandisk cards don't work well with some adapters and we don't have much info about the Nokia adapter, so you'll have to try it and find out
USBDeview output for Kingston FCR-MRG2:
usbdeview-kingston.png

USBDeview output for Nokia adapter:
usbdeview-nokia.png

Comparison of top side of adapters -- notice identical via pattern on plug:
IMG_20230724_204944994_HDR~2.jpg

Comparison of bottom side of adapters -- no serial number on Nokia adapter:
IMG_20230724_205212397_HDR~2.jpg

It's difficult to say with 100% certainty if the FCR-MRG2 or extremely similar devices would work with an unspecified Wii revision or unspecified SanDisk microSD model, but it has worked with most cards with my 4-layer Wii (RVK-CPU-01). I've had trouble with even the FCR-MRG2 in my 6-layer Wii (RVL-CPU-01). If you provide your microSD card model number (or at least a picture, if you don't have the model number) and Wii board revision, and I have that Wii revision, I can test if it works on mine. These are the Wii board revision I can test against right now:
  • RVL-CPU-01
  • RVL-CPU-20
  • RVL-CPU-40
  • RVK-CPU-01

Last edited:
Portables
Nada, Ziltch.
If you provide your microSD card model number (or at least a picture, if you don't have the model number) and Wii board revision, and I have that Wii revision, I can test if it works on mine. These are the Wii board revision I can test against right now:
  • RVL-CPU-01
  • RVL-CPU-20
  • RVL-CPU-40
  • RVK-CPU-01
Oh, thank you so much! I have an RVL-CPU-40 actually. Here are a couple of pictures of the micro sd.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Portables
Oh, thank you so much! I have an RVL-CPU-40 actually. Here are a couple of pictures of the micro sd.
View attachment 28879View attachment 28880
Unfortunately I don't have a microSD card from that generation / product line. The closest I have (pictured below) are a new-ish grey and red 256GB Sandisk Ultra (SDSQUAC-256G-GN6MA) and an older black 200GB Sandisk Ultra (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A) that both work fine with my Wii with a RVL-CPU-40 board, with the Nokia microSD reader. The 200GB microSD card is a different model than yours, but I think it was released in the same generation as yours, so it's very likely it will work with the Nokia microSD reader.

IMG_20230806_232350256_HDR~2.jpg