Imagine if you took this:
dsi.jpg
And added a little of this:
wii.jpeg
Oh wait, well that would mean...
I PRESENT TO YOU....

THE DSii
Screen Shot 2020-04-10 at 11.05.40 AM.png

The main gimmick of this bad boi is that it will have 2 screens, which some of you may be thinking "That's impossible," but a trip to Walmart begs to differ. Ever seen those toy phone kids have? it has a fake touchscreen but has buttons laying underneath it and when clicked, it plays music or sounds. The bottom screen will be like this, but instead of phone numbers, it will have an overlay with icons for volume, brightness, and contrast. These will actually function so it'll be easy to change the settings on the top screen. The top screen will be the highest quality 3.5 inch vga display I could find and has 640 x 480 (JT035IPS02-V0).

As far as custom boards, this portable will use:
RVL-PMS (BY GMAN)
PD-CHARGER (BY GMAN)
U-AMP (BY GMAN)
GC+ 2.0* THANKS! (BY AURELIO)
DUAL TACT BUTTONS (BY A CHINESE DOOD IDK)

The case design is going to be based on the look of the DSi and when I am finished, I will post all the files for anyone else who wants to make one of use assets!

I've attached a few pictures of it in Fusion 360.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I'm very impressed so far. I love the feature and the model looks thought out. Good luck

Portables
The mailmen have lied to me, my 3D printer is taking forever to get here....
Anyway here are some more pictures:
Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 12.51.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 12.50.38 PM.png

Visible additions include:
power led slots, Start button, and power button

Not visible:
frame to hold bottom face up
and a bunch of other little fixes

Waiting for my 3ds xl hinge and of course my 3d printer.

If anyone has advice, tips, suggestions, or just whatever! Just let me know!

harvey

lookin good! that CAD work is next level stuff, high hopes for the bottom screen functionality. just wondering; do you have any plans for what speakers youll be using? if so what?

Portables
lookin good! that CAD work is next level stuff, high hopes for the bottom screen functionality. just wondering; do you have any plans for what speakers youll be using? if so what?
Oh Yeah! I have alot of the 20mm round Mylar 8ohm speakers, so I’ll be using those along with the u-amp!

And as far as the bottom screen goes, it will be designed either to look like picto chat or dsi home screen icons not rly sure which would be cooler

But if anyone has opinions on what plastic is used in those toy phone screens, I’d love to hear it! It needs to be bendable enough to push a tact underneath but stiff enough to go back to flat

Last edited:
Portables
UPDATE:
I literally redid the entire model from scratch O-O
it was so messy feeling with the first one, so here are the changes
-It's a slight bit bigger, only by about 3 mm lengthwise
- Hinge system is set in stone (Hopefully)
- Screw posts are still being added
-Slightly bigger L and R buttons
-Modeled the 3ds xl Hinge Piece
Take a look:
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 8.46.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 8.46.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 8.47.15 PM.png

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Looks good! How are you planning on keeping the hinge mounts fixed to the base? Looks like they are floating there at the moment.

vikMKW

Dude, that's genius! I immediately thought of a microcontroller + touch TFT and design any graphical interface for volume, fuel gauge, etc. I want to use a small OLED in a wii laptop for such things, but you can take this above and beyond.

Portables
Sadly I have given up on this portable :( i did a test print and it would be so thicc, it makes me a lil sad, I’m working on something new I’m sure y’all would like! Stay tuned

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Sadly I have given up on this portable :( i did a test print and it would be so thicc, it makes me a lil sad, I’m working on something new I’m sure y’all would like! Stay tuned
Why give up? Clamshells are naturally going to be thick since everything has to be stacked on top of each other, there’s no avoiding that. You could always use lithium polymer batteries and heatpipes to make the base a lot thinner. If you’re going to use lithium ion batteries, sticking them out the bottom with some clips also is plausible. I wouldn’t give up just yet!

Portables
Why give up? Clamshells are naturally going to be thick since everything has to be stacked on top of each other, there’s no avoiding that. You could always use lithium polymer batteries and heatpipes to make the base a lot thinner. If you’re going to use lithium ion batteries, sticking them out the bottom with some clips also is plausible. I wouldn’t give up just yet!
Thanks for the motivation, I may come back to this one day soon bro

vikMKW

I second this. You'll learn of ways to slim it down, but not without giving it a shot. The G-Boy had multiple revisions, and now it's a kit!