Worklog Downing's Latest N64p Commission: Hesline 64

Noah

retired
Portables
Yeah, always sucks when life gets in the way of projects and hobbies. Being a student has it's perks, especially having the months of May-September all to myself. Better enjoy it! Only 3 left until I have to be a real grown up.

Glad to see you didn't have to get another PAL board. This is without a doubt, one of the cleanest units I have ever seen. Very nice job so far!

Yeah, always sucks when life gets in the way of projects and hobbies. Being a student has it's perks, especially having the months of May-September all to myself. Better enjoy it! Only 3 left until I have to be a real grown up.

Glad to see you didn't have to get another PAL board. This is without a doubt, one of the cleanest units I have ever seen. Very nice job so far!
yeah, fuck life!

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
So I finally got her closed up and so far everything is working perfectly! The controller board and memory card worked on the first shot (as I expected it to) and the only issue I ran into after my first tests was that I was getting no audio at all. Digging into it, I figured I must have frigged up the amp some how and in doing up another one, everything worked! This is a switchable audio amp too, so no need for a button like I had been using. The clarity of the headphones as well when plugged direct beats any speaker set-up that you're going to cram into a handheld. Wiring came out pretty decent as well.

I doubled up the video line using a strand of speaker wire which was a bit thicker than I like to use, but it helped a great deal in cleaning up the static on the screen.

The last step on the hand held is the cart cover which still needs to be filled, sanded and painted.

It's not a very friendly 3D print design I'm afraid so it requires a ton of prep work to get it decent. No pics yet but the first lay of filler is laid and sanded. This is going to take a couple of coats to fix properly.

And here is the first pic of the breakout box working in action with my test box. However, I'm finding that 3.5" screens do not seem to switch between PAL or NTSC automatically. First screen this text box used had to be PAL because I was getting screen scrolling using my NTSC N64 to test, but not using a PAL system. This time, the screen I put in there has to be NTSC because now I have a PAL system going into it and the freaking screen is scrolling again...and the colors are severely washed out. But whatever, it gets the message across that the setup is indeed working.

Both the 8.4V battery charger and the 12V transformer work perfectly through the HDMI cable and while the wall power plays the system, the batteries will charge because they are on two separate circuits.

I did up a short video test last week of the system working which I've posted below. I hope in the next couple of weeks I can have this done and do my finished build log!

Noah

retired
Portables
WOW!

It's truly a masterpiece.

Also, FINALLY someone used a center-switch joystick for start! I've been thinking about it for literally years but never did myself. Nice to see someone finally do it!

By far one of my favorite portables to date!

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
Thanks Noah. Actually I've been using that as a start since the first version of this N64p that I've been doing for a couple of years now. This is at least the forth N64 I've done to utilize it. Very handy feature.