Question Configuring RVL-PMS-2's fan control

I have been working on my first Ashida and have the whole thing built. Now I'm just... Troubleshooting...

How do you configure the RVL-PMS-2? I see on 4LayerTech.com that I should be able to configure the LED's color, see the temperature probe's value, the battery level, and other data. However I don't see any of this. The site does mention using custom firmware. Does that mean RVLoader, or a special WADS I don't know about? I saw the images from this post showing options in the RVLoader's settings that I don't see on mine. Namely the Power Settings and Battery info under Status. (See image below.)
PXL_20230904_231751776.jpg

The fan doesn't run at all aside from the first ~1 sec after powering on. The portable will freeze after about 10 min of play. (I assume this is due to over heating.) However the fan never turns on as the unit gets hot, and the PMS doesn't cut power. I'd assumed it's due to one of my via solders being faulty.

PXL_20230904_232021421.jpg

However, I don't think the unit needs I2C for these features. But, I could be mistaken. Doesn't the PMS get temp info directly from the temperature probe? Then run the fan directly from the PMS?

Any direction is appreciated

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
You need to wire SCW and SDW on the pms to the wii to enable the configurable features in rvloader. Make sure you are updated to the latest pms firmware as I'm not sure when you ordered this but there was an update on the fan control last year.

It was a loose SDW wire between the PMS and MoBo. How do I update the firmware of the PMS? I'm really hung up on this part. I ordered the PMS in July-ish.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
It should have the latest firmware in that case.

Thanks!

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering I am using a slightly different fan than the one recommended for the Ashida. I am using this one from Amazon. It seems to only turn on when the fan is set to blow at max speed. When I set the minimum speed of the fan to 255 it runs with no problem. I did need to make a little spacer for the fan, as it would either hit the housing or the heat sinks (depending on which way the fan was facing.)

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks!

EDIT: In case anyone is wondering I am using a slightly different fan than the one recommended for the Ashida. I am using this one from Amazon. It seems to only turn on when the fan is set to blow at max speed. When I set the minimum speed of the fan to 255 it runs with no problem. I did need to make a little spacer for the fan, as it would either hit the housing or the heat sinks (depending on which way the fan was facing.)
Good to know

I'm running into an issue where the Ashida will not charge above 0.5A at 15V. The power supplies I have tested work at 15V with 2.5A and the other at 3A. Do I need to update any of these settings in RVLoader? Or is it something else?
PXL_20230911_173522480.jpg
PXL_20230911_175751451.jpg