Worklog Card boy retropie handheld

Portables
This is the worklog for my retropie handheld using a raspberry pi 3b I had lying around, I am very new to this and am currently working out how it will be powered but I have a design measured and will later try and make a cad model for it, I am hoping the skills I learn from this will help me in the future to make a Wii portable which is my end goad but I figured I need to take baby steps yet, heck I haven't even got a soldering iron yet but I'll buy one with my next paycheck.

Attachments

Portables
started work on the model but gave up due to not knowing the software that well, gonna do more research, im using freecad pls tell me if you know a better alternative

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Fusion360 is a free and easy to learn CAD software that most of us use. There are heaps of official tutorials for it

Portables
im going to use 3ds stickboxes cos i like them and i think they might be easier to customize, ive just ordered them in red and black

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
3DS sliders may need manual calibration due to the range on them being lesser than a conventional joystick or joycon joystick

Portables
1703945210751.png
1703945232961.png

the cad model is finished, im proud of what i have done, i am now going to order it off pcbway since i dont have a 3d printer, im not going to implement full removability of stuff because 1, glue is easy 2, i can transfer all the files i need onto it wirelessly, and 3, im lazy. ive ordered the 3ds sliders and caps although i am not sure how exactly im going to get the buttons, either resin casting or sanding wood to fit, custom button pcbs will be ordered after i get it in hand and get a idea of how much space im working with.

Portables
just found out how hard it is to have 2 joysticks and a d pad so left joystick and left d pad will share inputs

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The pi probably needs to be flashed with a module to support said screen. There are many 30 pin LCDs and they all require different handling