Worklog Bluetooth OG Gamecube controller

RDNoob26

2023 1st Place
Portables
G-boy Wii, VariaPAD
Hello my people.

I have been working on a bluetooth control using the original GC controller and an ESP32.

This project is inspired in the article of the youtuber Yakara Colombia in which he presents the following pinout for the GC IC matched with the pins on the ESP32:

GAMECUBE UNIVERSAL.png

And the following are the components that will be used on this project:

- 1 original GC Controller.
- 1 ESP32.
- 1 battery charge module.
- 1 Small baterry.
- 1 Power switch.

IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG

Stay tuned!

Portables
Hello my people.

I have been working on a bluetooth control using the original GC controller and an ESP32.

This project is inspired in the article of the youtuber Yakara Colombia in which he presents the following pinout for the GC IC matched with the pins on the ESP32:

View attachment 29138

And the following are the components that will be used on this project:

- 1 original GC Controller.
- 1 ESP32.
- 1 battery charge module.
- 1 Small baterry.
- 1 Power switch.

View attachment 29139 View attachment 29140

Stay tuned!
this looks like a cool project

RDNoob26

2023 1st Place
Portables
G-boy Wii, VariaPAD
So here is an update in the process of this project.

I removed all the components off the GC Controller board:

IMG_0196.JPG

And also wired the power and programmed the ESP32 module, it has a 3.3v regulator and also the resistor between 3.3 and the EN pin:

IMG_0197.JPG

Next step was to start soldering the wires, I started with the regular buttons to test they work once done:

IMG_0201.JPG

After attaching power to the regulator, tested the inputs and they worked fine, though I didn't take picture of them.

For the next step I added the rest of the wires for the potentiometers, the long wires are the ones I am using to give power to the unit for testing.

IMG_0212.JPG

So far the pots work and they are very good calibrated. Next step will be to work on the power and add everything back to the shell.

I plan to use a male/female JST connector to make it easier to troubleshoot in case I need to open it.

RDNoob26

2023 1st Place
Portables
G-boy Wii, VariaPAD
Hello my people.

This project is now complete, here I have the board with all the wires soldered, and also added a JST female plug to power the ESP-32 board:

IMG_0216.JPG

I added the usb charge module at the bottom of where the vivrator motor was, and a lipo battery as well. There is an small push switch to power on the circuit too:

IMG_0218.JPG

This project worked great! It has the option to connect the controller to the Nintendo Switch and also to Blueretro or any bluetooth enable device and can be changed by using a button combination:

IMG_0228.JPG

The controller works great in smash, no input lag and good battery duration.

This was a great success! The next step on this project would be to give the controller a paint job as I want to give some personality to it.

RDNoob26

2023 1st Place
Portables
G-boy Wii, VariaPAD
Hello guys, here is an update about how this amazing project ended up.

I made a paintjob on the controller to make it be our beloved spice orange.

photo_4947661317376945091_y.jpg

We managed to make the color match almost exactly, painted one is a bit darker but I love the results of this.

photo_4947661317376945093_y.jpg

This was an amazing project to make and I will be doing similar things in the future for my friends.

Portables
Heya! Super impressed with how this project came out, especially the paint job, looks so freaking slick all oranged-up! Was curious where you sourced the battery and charge module, as they seem to fit damn near perfect for this application. Also wondering if you could post a photo of the back of the controller showing how you oriented the charge port and switch on that portion of the shell.

Thanks again for sharing this project, it has really inspired me to try some new things!
Cheers and happy modding!

RDNoob26

2023 1st Place
Portables
G-boy Wii, VariaPAD
Heya! Super impressed with how this project came out, especially the paint job, looks so freaking slick all oranged-up! Was curious where you sourced the battery and charge module, as they seem to fit damn near perfect for this application. Also wondering if you could post a photo of the back of the controller showing how you oriented the charge port and switch on that portion of the shell.

Thanks again for sharing this project, it has really inspired me to try some new things!
Cheers and happy modding!

Yes of course man!

I got the charge module in Amazon:

Then removed the USB port to only leave the USB-C input.

I recycled the battery from an old Chinese GoPro but any small lipo will work great as this doesn't use that much power.

The back is not too professional but it ended up being very nice
IMG_5512.jpeg
IMG_5513.jpeg

Reactions: Y2K

RDNoob26

2023 1st Place
Portables
G-boy Wii, VariaPAD
Great project. The only downsize is that you have to cut the shell.
That is right!

There might be other ways to reduce what's needed to be cutoff for example if the USB port is somehow changed to an smaller 3.5mm female connector.

As for the switch, maybe an smaller button or switch or somehow make the esp32 go to sleep if buttons are not pressed after some time, I don't know how to do this but should not be too difficult to achieve.

About a year ago, I talked with the person that created the software for esp32 and he said that a future version with sleep mode is planned.