Solved Black Screen on Wii Games

Viktor

Hello, I installed portablizemii finally, and I wanted to test it with some mario kart wii. However, when trying to boot it only shows a black screen. I read it may be because it is a sandisk, but I dont want to buy a new flash drive. Is there any option? Btw, the wii is still untrimmed.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hello, I installed portablizemii finally, and I wanted to test it with some mario kart wii. However, when trying to boot it only shows a black screen. I read it may be because it is a sandisk, but I dont want to buy a new flash drive. Is there any option? Btw, the wii is still untrimmed.
PM is very anal about which drives work with it. You could try reformatting the drive and redownloading the pack, but if it doesn't like your USB, sadly you don't have much choice but to get a new one.

Viktor

PM is very anal about which drives work with it. You could try reformatting the drive and redownloading the pack, but if it doesn't like your USB, sadly you don't have much choice but to get a new one.
I tried reformatting it several times, also downloading the japanes pack. However, sadly, nothing worked. I'll send the usb flash drive back tomorow and will buy a new one://

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I tried reformatting it several times, also downloading the japanes pack. However, sadly, nothing worked. I'll send the usb flash drive back tomorow and will buy a new one://
The best USB drive to use atm is the Kingston FCR-MRG2 Micro SD to USB reader.
upload_2020-4-7_8-38-7.png

It looks like this. Use it with a genuine Samsung or Sandisk micro SD card and it's nearly guaranteed to work.

Viktor

is there maybe an option without an sd card, because I dont have an sd card reader. (asked a friend for the homebrew setup)?

Portables
That option @Stitches linked is a SD card to usb usb adapter, you stick your sd card in the kingston adapter, and than the kingston adapter goes in your USB port, so you don't need an SD card reader

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
is there maybe an option without an sd card, because I dont have an sd card reader. (asked a friend for the homebrew setup)?
That option @Stitches linked is a SD card to usb usb adapter, you stick your sd card in the kingston adapter, and than the kingston adapter goes in your USB port, so you don't need an SD card reader
It's a micro SD to USB adapter. You'll have to buy a micro SD card for it to work, but it's 99% guaranteed to work.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks, already found an alternative, also from Kigston but an, but a flash drive. But thanks for help ;)
Nononono you misunderstand. ONLY the FCR-MRG2 model is currently officially supported, the Kingston brand isn't the key here. ANY other USB drive has a very high chance of doing exactly what your current drive is doing now. You're probably buying another lemon in this case.

Portables

Viktor

Nononono you misunderstand. ONLY the FCR-MRG2 model is currently officially supported, the Kingston brand isn't the key here. ANY other USB drive has a very high chance of doing exactly what your current drive is doing now. You're probably buying another lemon in this case.
oooohhh, why are all my kingston usb drives working fine though? Also, the sd to usb is sadly everywhere out of stock for shipping to Germany :/

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
oooohhh, why are all my kingston usb drives working fine though? Also, the sd to usb is sadly everywhere out of stock for shipping to Germany :/
While many drives outside what we recommend *can* work, the ones we recommend are the only ones we have consistently seen *do* work.

Viktor

While many drives outside what we recommend *can* work, the ones we recommend are the only ones we have consistently seen *do* work.
ok, I ordered now the samsung fit, as I have seen many other modders use it, and also, and it is listed in thread wudopecker send. Thanks for the help

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
ok, I ordered now the samsung fit, as I have seen many other modders use it, and also, and it is listed in thread wudopecker send. Thanks for the help
You made sure it's the older white 3.0 Fit and not the newer black 3.1+ Fit that doesn't work, right?

Viktor

The USB Drive arrived yesterday. For whatever reason they shipped the newer black one. I first was in shock, but when I tried to boot games, it just worked. Think I got lucky there. Thanks for all the help, I will now continue with the trimming.