Solved batteries on PS2 Portable

Hi, I was looking for batteries for my PS2 Portable, but I don't know how many mAh should have, I know that the PS2 works fine with 7.4V, but how many amps does it use more or less?
Thanks

Portables
Hi, I was looking for batteries for my PS2 Portable, but I don't know how many mAh should have, I know that the PS2 works fine with 7.4V, but how many amps does it use more or less?
Thanks
You can use these paired with a 2s bms for charging, unless you plan on using advance ps2 trim.

Last edited:
You can use these paired with a 2s bms for safe charging, unless you plan on using advance ps2 trim.

Thanks, then I suppose that with 3.5 amps is fine,do you know how many hours of battery they are more or less on the PS2?

The slim PS2 will use no more than 5.5 amps, as that is all the DC/DC converter puts out. Since a portion of that amperage will be for the disc drive, which you very likely won't be using, you can probably run the system very comfortably with a 4 amp supply, maybe even less. I assume we're talking about a 79000/90000?

The slim PS2 will use no more than 5.5 amps, as that is all the DC/DC converter puts out. Since a portion of that amperage will be for the disc drive, which you very likely won't be using, you can probably run the system very comfortably with a 4 amp supply, maybe even less. I assume we're talking about a 79000/90000?
Yes, the idea is to use a 7900x PS2 slim, in that case I suppose that 3.5 Amps should give more or less 1 hour of battery, so I should give more, at least 9-10 to have more or least 2 hours and a half, isn't it?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yes, the idea is to use a 7900x PS2 slim, in that case I suppose that 3.5 Amps should give more or less 1 hour of battery, so I should give more, at least 9-10 to have more or least 2 hours and a half, isn't it?
Amps are a measure of current flow, not stored energy. In this case it's more useful to use wattage to estimate battery life. Volts multiplied by Amps equals Watts (V x A = W). A trimmed PS2 needs 4.7 ish Watts to run, add some extra for the controls/audio/screen/cooling fan, and a little for thermal inefficiency, and you're looking at I believe a conservative estimate of 10w of power draw per hour of operation. A 2S1P 7.4v battery pack using 3500mAh cells has a capacity of 25.9W.

25.9 / 10 = 2.59, so you can expect around 2 and half hours of runtime with those cells if you use decent regulators, or 2 hours if using an untrimmed board with the stock regulators due to lesser efficiency and low voltage dropout.

Last edited:
Amps are a measure of current flow, not stored energy. In this case it's more useful to use wattage to estimate battery life. Volts multiplied by Amps equals Watts (V x A = W). A trimmed PS2 needs 4.7 ish Watts to run, add some extra for the controls/audio/screen/cooling fan, and a little for thermal inefficiency, and you're looking at I believe a conservative estimate of 10w of power draw per hour of operation. A 2S1P 7.4v battery pack using 3500mAh cells has a capacity of 25.9W.

25.9 / 10 = 2.59, so you can expect around 2 and half hours of runtime with those cells if you use decent regulators, or 2 hours if using an untrimmed board with the stock regulators due to lesser efficiency and low voltage dropout.
thanks I thought that for measure de battery life it was only necessary the Amps.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The difference between energy and power can take some time to wrap your head around. The mAh rating for the cells is also a bit misleading. mAh stands for milli-Amp Hours, which is thousandths of an Amp over an hour of time. The figure basically means that the amount of power stored in the cell, if discharged from full to empty in one hour at a linear rate, would be equal to 3.5 Amps of current flow. We use this mAh figure in place of the Amps part of the Wattage equation when working with batteries due to stored energy working a bit differently to linear energy supplied by a wall socket. In the case of a wall supply, you would just use the Amps figure listed on the supply to calculate the Wattage if the Wattage is for some reason not listed.

Also, the maximum discharge rating of the cell (which in this case is listed as 8 Amps) is an entirely separate figure to the cell's capacity, being a measure of true Amperage output rather than the time relative mAh figure. The discharge rating is what you use to ensure that the cells are able to put out enough current to run the system, which isn't so important for the PS2 or Wii due to their very low power requirements. This discharge rating is sometimes listed as C, which is how many times in one hour the cell can discharge its entire capacity. So a figure of 5C on a 3500 mAh cell would mean you multiply 3.5Ah by 5C to get 17.5 Amps as your max discharge figure. It's not really relevant to this use case, but the more you know.

Also also, it's worth remembering that wall supplies for consoles are specced to overkill to handle spikes in power consumption. The console doesn't use the maximum Amperage of the stock power supply at all times, so it's good to check (as you did) if anyone has measured the actual power consumption of the system so that you can source the correct parts.