Question Bare minimum for OMGWTF trim, minor undervoltage, minimum amps for boot?

Hi guys,

I'm trying the OMGWTF trim on a wii:
- I've bought the custom regulators
- I fried my U10 but found someone here who used U9 so I tried using that one (mistake?) and THINK I've hooked it up correctly (like in the manual but find it hard to test the VIA)
- I've hooked up a composite cable (pin goes to 'video', outside goes to ground)

The output is a bit off but am unaware if it's good enough or not: 3.23v, 1.13v and 0.98v (somehow), amperage is 2 amps which might not be enough to boot? I don't get any signs of life but amp or voltage OR via from U10 can be an issue.

Also the processor and GPU seem to warm up steadily as they did when still being a full wii.... don't know if that's a good or a bad sign ;)

P.s. I've missed the part where relocations and testing can be done before the trim... so It's trimmed already

Last edited:
I'm sorry my soldering was not so good on the U10 (or U9 actually) but measuring points/via's seems to register contact where needed but only can't confirm the via that had to be done towards the graphics card.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
It looks alright, you should hook up your USB drive. Also, just to double check, you did install PM with nowifi IOSes, correct?

It looks alright, you should hook up your USB drive. Also, just to double check, you did install PM with nowifi IOSes, correct?
Yes everything was installed and working before trim. I should boot without USB right?

cheese

Staff member
Yes everything was installed and working before trim. I should boot without USB right?
Assuming you downloaded and installed portablizemii recently, yes it should boot without USB. Try an alternate location for video. Also, does the wii output no video or black screen?

You can also try holding reset to get into priiloader. Just add a button between reset and ground, and hold it down when the wii is booting.

Assuming you downloaded and installed portablizemii recently, yes it should boot without USB. Try an alternate location for video. Also, does the wii output no video or black screen?

You can also try holding reset to get into priiloader. Just add a button between reset and ground, and hold it down when the wii is booting.
My tv is slightly confusing in that case, it states 'no signal' for around 3 seconds and then goes to a black screen with or without the wii beyond that it's only popping on when signal is received.... I installed portablizemii this weekend so I guess that's good enough and it booted without USB/SD before I started trimming.

I will add the reset button maybe I made a mistake with the installation and priiloader will show up! Also still looking for some acknowledgement of the voltagas that they are ok even though slightly under the requirements..

cheese

Staff member
Try wiring video to another point, if it gets hot and such the wii most likely still runs.

cheese

Staff member
Try wiring video to another point, if it gets hot and such the wii most likely still runs.

no luck, wired it as near as possible to the 'video/audio-chip' center of the composite to that point and the outside of the composite to ground...

Indeed my thought was also running hot == working device....

Reset did not help me

Another update:
- Measured the U10 towards the GPU and it also reads 3.2v (ish)..
- USB connected to 7-6 + 5v external power input for USB, no blinking lights (https://bitbuilt.net/images/guide_hub/console_modding/wii/ss_definitive_wii/usb_all.png)
- USB connected to 2-3 + 5v external power input for USB, no blinking lights (https://bitbuilt.net/images/guide_hub/console_modding/wii/ss_definitive_wii/usb_all.png)
- Wii still gets warm

I have 1 new Wii to trim but it's a 6 layer board and I don't have the right equipment to create the extra power line required...

Oh wait! The 6 layer versions 1.8v is not required as an input! Hmmm well I also have been sanding down the edges since @Bakuku has been helping me out a bit and thought maybe the small voltage drop was because of micro shortages. I've been sanding for a while and my 0.9 has gone up to 1.0! My 3.2 is now 3.29! Only my 1.15 is now 0.0 so Need to do more sanding I guess...

Also we got the OMGWTF trim, but besides the outer ground trim which trims are there? I'm trying to make a hybrid wii quite like the switch (but a tad bigger), My screen is 7 inch and well the more I cut the more I have to resolder..

Tried to do a 12v from 7.4 with 4 8000mah batteries but a wii doesn't want to boot with that (just a little click when pressing the power button)

cheese

Staff member
There is nothing between the OMGWTF and a basic ground trim. Also, what grit are you using to sand the edges? That sounds like you aren't using a high enough grit

There is nothing between the OMGWTF and a basic ground trim. Also, what grit are you using to sand the edges? That sounds like you aren't using a high enough grit
Started with 80 then moved up to 400. I get voltages everywhere except for 1.15.

So if I wish to power a full-board could I go through the same OMGWTF wiring?

Managed to get an untrimmed to partially boot with just batteries! But I think the batteries them self (salvaged from 2.1 amp phone chargers) don't hold enough oomph for the 12v line.