Solved Are these things scams?

Mumble

Portables
I read somewhere that I could get a RCA to RGB converter, and this is what I got:

I tried hooking my Wii up to my monitor, and I'm not getting a signal. (Yes, I did buy the red blue green wire for the wii instead of the yellow red white.)

Any suggestions? Or is this most likely / definitely a scam wire?

VGA does indeed use RGB signals, along with that it needs vertical and horizontal sync as well. However, what you get out of the Wii cables that look the same is NOT RGB. It is component video and is a different format entirely... So, without proper RGB cables and the correct sync signals, you won't get any video on a VGA monitor.

Mumble

Portables
VGA does indeed use RGB signals, along with that it needs vertical and horizontal sync as well. However, what you get out of the Wii cables that look the same is NOT RGB. It is component video and is a different format entirely... So, without proper RGB cables and the correct sync signals, you won't get any video on a VGA monitor.
So...yes?

Mumble

Portables
No, they aren't scams, and with the proper signals you would likely get a display... Assuming it's hooked up correctly on the inside, anyway
Okay, I'll give it another shot and see if I did it right.

Mumble

Portables
Oh, I getcha now. So you're saying that the cables aren't scams, but don't work with monitors? The red, green, blue, and white cable outputs to an HD tv just fine.

Oh, I getcha now. So you're saying that the cables aren't scams, but don't work with monitors? The red, green, blue, and white cable outputs to an HD tv just fine.
No. I'm saying the cables that you have on the Wii side output a different kind of video. The cable you have will output YPbPr also known as component video, component video is very different from RGB, which is what the VGA standard uses. So, without a cable that outputs RGB + horizontal and vertical sync, you will not get a picture on any VGA monitor due to using the wrong video format.

Last edited:

Mumble

Portables
No. I'm saying the cables that you have on the Wii side output a different kind of video. The cable you have will output YPbPr also known as composite video, composite video is very different from RGB, which is what the VGA standard uses. So, without a cable that outputs RGB + horizontal and vertical sync, you will not get a picture on any VGA monitor due to using the wrong video format.
Ahhh I get it now (You mean that they are completely different formats and won't output unless they are the same). So if the cable doesn't convert Composite to RGB, then what is it's purpose?

Noah

retired
Portables
Ahhh I get it now (You mean that they are completely different formats and won't output unless they are the same). So if the cable doesn't convert Composite to RGB, then what is it's purpose?
Regardless of the purpose, you wouldn't want to convert composite to RGB. You'd be better off converting digital to RGB/VGA through a medium like GCVideo. If it's for Wii it'd be around $50 to get one and it takes rather small wiring so unless you're down for that you'd better just stick with composite.

Mumble

Portables
Regardless of the purpose, you wouldn't want to convert composite to RGB. You'd be better off converting digital to RGB/VGA through a medium like GCVideo. If it's for Wii it'd be around $50 to get one and it takes rather small wiring so unless you're down for that you'd better just stick with composite.
I got a Composite LCD, so I'm not concerned about "Oh crap, this has RGB, and the Wii uses Composite", But I am just a little curious is all ;)