Any advice for a novice

Donbo

I'm pretty new to portablizing and consoles in general although I have some experience making minor fixes to Wii and Gamecube controllers. I was really interested in the g boy and i thought it was a great way to get into portablizing but now that it has been discontinued I'm kind of looking for some beginner project, I'm interested in the Ashida but I've been having trouble finding a comprehensive guide (if there is one) that has things like solder points and other pieces of basic assembly info. Are there any other kits or comprehensive guides i should look into?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm afraid there is no comprehensive guide *yet*. Portablising has always been a sort of "struggle your way to success" type hobby, so all we really have are a series of guides about specific aspects of the build that you'll need to string together yourself. I can, however, point you to the basic reading materials to get started.

The documentation, pinouts, and some wiring guides are available on the 4layertech pages for each of the individual boards that are used in conjunction with the Ashida basic PCB set. The information provided is very specific to each product, but contains everything needed to get them wired and working.

For Wii specific info, have a gander at the Wii Guide section. Specifically Wii Motherboard Anatomy 101, the Revision Identification Guide, and The Definitive Trimming Guide threads. These contain the information framework you'll need. In addition, I'd have a read of Ginger's Trimming and Troubleshooting FAQ. Afaik it's still accurate and covers a great many potential issues you may run into.

For general information on soldering and electronic principles, check out Shank's Electronics 101 thread. I'd also read Ginger's General Tools And Materials Guide thread for a list of commonly used tools and materials..... funnily enough.

If you read through the basic materials and can come up with specific questions for things you don't understand, or want advice about, we'll do our best to help you out. Just be aware that knowledgeable members aren't always free, so some questions may take some time to be answered. If you want/need more realtime help, our discord is pretty active.

Donbo

alright ill look into all of those thanks for your help