Worklog 99Kap's Wii Portable

99Kap

I've begun work on my Wii portable and its a very intimidating project. My electronics Knowledge and experience is very limited (the craziest thing i've fixed is a coffee pot cable). My sights aren't set too high and I'm not in any rush as i expect this will take several months especially since my wallet is very light. Ideally the portable has decent battery life, working audio, and proper GC controls. I plan on staying cheap and spending as little as possible until i have verified that i can actually get a trimmed motherboard powered and working. I understand this is an expensive project.
That said i will not compromise on safety so i won't be skimping out on the battery packs.

I've been researching methods of powering the system and I've decided that custom regulators and a proper power pack are the way to go but i need know some things. Do i need a pack to simply test if the trimmed board is operational or can i use something like a wall charger hooked up to the regulators, where can i get a decent battery pack that won't burn my house down, and if i have to buy individual cells what do i do about a charge protection circuit? Do i need 7.4v or is 5v enough?
These are the scariest questions to me as i just don't know what i need to know about this.
Watching Madmorda's video on her Wii portable makes powering one seem pretty simple but i need to make sure the power delivery is safe and reliable. I read some recommendations from shank on cells, cell packs, and where to by them but i don't understand what makes them viable and i need to know that stuff before i can buy anything.

Links to other forum post would do fine i just haven't found them myself yet. My only other question for the moment is how do i connect the composite cables to the board after the trim. I'm pretty sure i can find that answer as it looks pretty simple, but a pointer as to where i can find that info would also be great.

EDIT:
I've already got RVLoader working and patched out the wifi module.
The board is 6 layers.

Last edited:
I recommend the ashida for first build.

And you cant build a portable with a 6 layer wii, maybe a noldendo?

99Kap

I recommend the ashida for first build.

And you cant build a portable with a 6 layer wii, maybe a noldendo?
I admit i haven't thoroughly studied the trim guides but i haven't seen anything that says i can't use a 6 layer, do you have a link to where that is stated so i can see for myself?
If it really isn't possible then i'll chech my 2 other Wii's and see. It would just be a hassle to have to put the 6 layer back together and replace the other ones with it.

EDIT: I'm reading Shank's Wii Super Thread and it appears that it is possible to make a hand held with a 6 layer board but the heat production and power consumption increase over the 4 layer boards make it a poor choice and i think for my first build (on a tight budget at that) a 6 layer is probably not gonna work out. Fortunately i at least have a k01 that should work fine according to the guide. Still i will check the other Wii tomorrow to see if its an rvk40 model. If it is i will use that one instead unless otherwise recommended against it.

Last edited: