Question 5v switching regulator

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Are you planning to retain the disk drive? Are you trimming the board at all?

Are you planning to retain the disk drive? Are you trimming the board at all?
no i won't keep the disk drive, won't cut the board at all,it's a 79001, i will only remove the ports to make the board a little smaller,but i would like to keep the vibration motors

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You don't need a 5V switching reg to run the PS2 then, but depending on what screen you want to use it might be a good idea to get one anyway. Not all screens will run off 7.4v input, but almost all can be 5v modded. The Texas Instruments PTH08080 is a good switching reg for this purpose, paired with 2x 100uf 15v electrolytic capacitors to clean voltage ripple (the diagram only shows a cap on the input line, but you should use one on the output line too for safety) and a 330ohm 1% resistor to set the voltage. Here's a diagram for wiring one up.
1635404747520.png

I don't think Amazon carries them, not any legit ones anyway, but Digikey and Mouser definitely do. You may find them designated as PTH08080WAH or PTH08080WAD, these are the same regulators, just one has pre-soldered pin legs on the bottom that we always remove anyway for space saving.

You don't need a 5V switching reg to run the PS2 then, but depending on what screen you want to use it might be a good idea to get one anyway. Not all screens will run off 7.4v input, but almost all can be 5v modded. The Texas Instruments PTH08080 is a good switching reg for this purpose, paired with 2x 100uf 15v electrolytic capacitors to clean voltage ripple (the diagram only shows a cap on the input line, but you should use one on the output line too for safety) and a 330ohm 1% resistor to set the voltage. Here's a diagram for wiring one up.
View attachment 19704

I don't think Amazon carries them, not any legit ones anyway, but Digikey and Mouser definitely do. You may find them designated as PTH08080WAH or PTH08080WAD, these are the same regulators, just one has pre-soldered pin legs on the bottom that we always remove anyway for space saving.
i will use a 5" tft screen, this is the board
WIN_20210927_15_32_19_Pro.jpg

it's 12v i haven't figured out how to convert it to 5v

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The 8 legged IC half covered by the wires should output 5v from one of its legs. If you find that leg, you can check where the 5v goes. I think it feeds the 220 inductor, but I'm not sure

The 8 legged IC half covered by the wires should output 5v from one of its legs. If you find that leg, you can check where the 5v goes. I think it feeds the 220 inductor, but I'm not sure
i think i blew up the screen, i connected a wire from the IC to the 12v input

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Wut? Can you explain the process there?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Did you supply 5v or 12v to the screen after doing this? Did you ensure you have a proper ground connection as well?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yep, that'll do it. 12v through the 5v line = death. You're going to need a new sceen and driver board

ABH

View attachment 19704

5v is required for the video&audio DAC.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
5v is required for the video&audio DAC.
I should have been more specific, I meant you don't need an external 5v regulator if you aren't retaining the disk drive.

I should have been more specific, I meant you don't need an external 5v regulator if you aren't retaining the disk drive.
thank you so much for the explanation, i already ordered 2 more screens, right now i'm working designing the case in tinkercad

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
thank you so much for the explanation, i already ordered 2 more screens, right now i'm working designing the case in tinkercad
Just be aware that the linear reg on the PS2 might not output enough current to run both the PS2 and your screen. You might still need a separate switching regulator just to run the screen

Just be aware that the linear reg on the PS2 might not output enough current to run both the PS2 and your screen. You might still need a separate switching regulator just to run the screen
even if i convert the screen to 5v?

i got this screen
it says it Supports 12V power supply and mobile power (USB 5V2A) power supply

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah the Eyoyo screen will need a separate 5v regulator to power it. The small linear reg on the PS2 can't power the PS2 and that screen at the same time. Fortunately the Eyoyo screen doesn't actually need any modding to run on 5v, it has a 5v pad easily accessible from the start. You will have to put some effort into removing all the ports and screwposts tho.

I made a shitty thread for the Eyoyo screen a while ago, it has the 5v location and yPbPr pinout