Worklog [2023 Contest Entry] SEGA DreamXtreme!

Portables
Too many
1694024432358.png

EPISODE 23: Another Glue in the Wall Part II

*We don't need no glue on plastic! We don't need no fumes to huff*

OK, enough of that...now onto the walls!

First the bottom wall
2.jpg

Then the Left...
3.jpg

and then the right!
4.jpg

Now for the top plate...it requires a nice extra curvy part first.
6.jpg

5.jpg

and lastly, attaching that plate!
7.jpg

Now we gotta let it sit so the glue can fully cure before doing anything else with it today.

The putty work is soon to begin! Will the mess of putty be too much? Will it all look terrible? Stay tuned for our next putty-tastic episode of Dream Xtreme!

Portables
Too many
1694456059772.png

EPISODE 24: The Goo is Upon Us!

Well, this is a short one as it is time to get the body work done up!
5.jpg

Nothing works better for mixing and applying my case putty material than magic cards ;)

Black does alotta sacrificing....and I shall sacrifice it! mwa ha ha!
6.jpg

Aaaaaand...PUTTYFACATION!
1.jpg

Then some more!
2.jpg

And then some more still!
3.jpg

It doesn't stop!
4.jpg

Ok, while that's hardening over the next oooooh....24 hours or so...Let's get to one last thing...

...getting that player 2/3 port setup....it fits good :)
7.jpg

Ok well, that's all I can do for now. Gotta wait for the putty to solidify, which will take pretty much a full day. Sanding is next on the agenda!

WIll our hero's hands and wrists be able to handle the massive amounts of sanding? Will he fling it into next week from the pain? Find out in our next wrist-breaking episode of Dream Xtreme!

Portables
Too many
1694630037177.png

EPISODE 25: The Sanding of Pain!

The goo is cured....it is time to murder my hands and wrists!

1.jpg

...and after way too long....and alotta pain...
3.jpg

The shape is perfect! I somehow managed to fill all the holes on the first go! Pretty surprising considering that it usually takes at least 3 coatings normally lol.

5.jpg

...Ran into a major issue tho...
4.jpg

That'll do'er for today! Soon comes the time of finalizing the wiring and doing the first test fit of everything before paint!

Will our hero be able to wrestle it away from Hello Kitty and finish in time? Find out in our next exciting episode of Dream Xtreme!!

Portables
Too many
1694801143324.png

EPISODE 26: Gremlins Strike!

Sanding finished...now onto a small speed bump. I realised that since I have a proper disk cover that I want to also have a lid open/closed switch!

But then...Disaster! Wretched acyrlic plastic is just too darn brittle...
1.jpg

Sooooooooo....for the fourth or fifth time now, I have to make a new DD holder thing. Again, it's a good thing I have at least a hundred of these lol.
2.jpg

Probably for the best anyway, the previous one got really scratched up.

So now onto the lid switch.........but where do I get a lid switch that'll work?

Aha! This busted old PS1 DD has exactly the right kind of switch for the job!
3.jpg

aaaaand extracted!
4.jpg

with a little bit of the carving...
6.jpg

...and a little bit more
7.jpg

We get another perfect fit!
5.jpg

It makes use of the little tab that's normally for holding the CD's booklet!

Wiring is next to tackle...should have that done soon :)

The wiring nightmare is approaching! Will our hero be able to handle it? Or will the electric tentacles choke him to death!? Find out in the next action-packed episode of Dream Xtreme!

Portables
Too many
1695234084326.png

EPISODE 27: Paint it Black Gray

Since the paint I'm going with likes to stay tacky for a few days after spraying, I decided to go ahead and spray the shell now while I work on the rest in between...
1.jpg

After a good 4 coats of paint, while subtle, there is a now color difference!
2.jpg

Now, with that slowly drying...back to the electricals!

First thing I'm going to slap wiring in for will be the memory card. A bit of a pain...but with a touch of hot glue, it should remain perfectly stable :)
3.jpg

Then I had a thought...and decided that I need to actually mount the memory card in place to minimize the risk of the wires detaching when they feel like it...
4.jpg

Doing this gave me another idea on how to make the wiring more stable. Initially, I was just going let the DD connectors float around, but if I were to put in something like this...
6.jpg

...it'd be not only be less likely to fall apart, but it'd also make installing the DD much easier! Yeah!

That'll do'er for today. Next on the list is finishing up the wiring for the DD...then the AV/controller lines....and hopefully by the time those are ready, the paint will be ready and it'll be time for what will hopefully be final assembly!

The final crunch is on! Will the paint dry sufficiently in time? Or will it stay tacky forever and require a full stripping and repainting? Find out in our next brain blasting episode of Dream Xtreme!

Portables
Too many
1695755855286.png

EPISODE 28: The Wires are Nigh!

Countdown continues...and the completion is ever nearer.

next item on the list is to get all those little wires finished up....

First thing is to get that little board soldered up...
1.jpg

Then we create a tentacle pr0n monster!
2.jpg

Now for the final bit of horrible teeny soldering on this side of the board...
3.jpg

There we go! All wiring in place and fixed into position! Also relocated a couple of caps that were in the way lol.
4.jpg

Last thing for the day is to finish up the rest of the wiring on the controller/AV board...all hooked up, flagged and ready for installation!
5.jpg

We're almost there! Now all that remains is to set up the wires for the P2/3 ports and stuff on the DC mobo...then assembly can begin!

With the wiring nearly complete, will our hero find the time to pull it off on time or is disaster lurking in the future? Stay tuned for the next nail-biting episode of Dream Xtreme!

Portables
Too many
1695927700500.png

EPISODE 29: The Final Countdown!

The moment of truth is drawing ever nearer!

So for today, we get the controller and AV and what not all hooked up!

First, the board is hooked in...for hopefully the last time!
1.jpg

Then we get it hooked to the Dreamcast's Mobo...
2.jpg

After that, we get all the other controller's wires in place!
3.jpg

Of course we gotta make sure that the power and grounds are connected!
4.jpg

Everything flagged and good to go!
5.jpg

Now for the Audio and Video connections! It wasn't as much of a headache as I had anticipated, tho it still took way too long to do lol.
6.jpg

Next, a little goober of thermal paste before we attach the heat sink!
8.jpg

Fit looks darn good, I'd say!
9.jpg

Now with the heat sink in place, we get our memory card hooked up as well!
7.jpg

Ugh...ran out of time again...but we're on the fast track to finishing! All that remains is hooking up the P2/3 ports and getting the power supply installed..then, it's the moment of truth!

The end is nigh! Will the Dreamcast still work when powered on? Will it explode? Will it simply not turn on at all? Find out in our grand finale, the final episode of Dream Xtreme!

Last edited:
Portables
Too many
I was hoping for a glorious, triumphant episode 30.

instead, all I get is magic smoke.

I got it all wired up. Assembled in all its glory. Hit the power switch and it started on fire. Projekt is dead. I'm out of the competition :(

Portables
Too many
Good news! So I was messing with the remnants....and found that the DC appears to still be functional! Audio amp is smoked, VGA circuit might also be smoked. BUT, everything else looks like it's still working! I might be out of the contest..but at least this projekt might still live on :)

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Hooray I'm so glad the project seems recoverable. I can't wait to see it working some day.

My fingers are crossed

Portables
Too many
I think so...despite my flagging every wire to not get them mixed up, I somehow got the 5v and 12v lines backwards. Since the sound and VGA are powered via 5v, that's what caused the explosion there.

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
Is it possible to salvage something in time for the competition close? I ended up busting an entry of mine in the final hours also and figured what the hell - I'm going to enter this broken mess. It didn't win anything, but it was something.

Portables
Too many
After much not sleeping, I made an attempt to get this beast running somehow. Unfortunately, the damage went deeper than expected as the laser is also cooked. There's also a slight chance that the laser controller is done for, too.

Sadly, I don't think it's possible to get a replacement laser within 24 hours so all hope for finishing this on time is lost.

At least the rest of it appears to be working yet...so hopefully, someday, I'll get this beasty finished.