Discussion Wii Power Management System (open source)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Hi guys,

On the Wii PMS github I have uploaded the firmware v2. It is completely rewritten from the ground up. The old one worked fine however it was not so friendly to add in new features that I have been working on and was easier to just redo it now that I have a little more experience coding.

Huge thanks again to @Aurelio for going through the code with me to do things in a better way.
New features:
Powered off charging indicator. The LED can be powered from VSYS and the microcontroller will periodically wake up every few seconds to check if the system is charging, so there is some delay time for the indicator to turn on when the system is off.
Dynamic USB-C PD source negotiation using @jefflongo 's library. Now the USB-C board can be compatible at higher voltage with any USB-C PD charger.

Starting Friday, all the WiiPMS in the store will have the new code. If you have one with the original firmware, it's not entirely necessary however I would recommend picking up a cheap PicKit3 to reprogram it. It's a great tool to have that you will end up using for other projects for sure.

https://github.com/Gmanmodz/Wii-Power-Management-System

xsping

this is fantastic work,thanks G-man, i already made one by
myself, but i found one proplem, it can only be programmed and work with the old hex file, when i program the pic16 by v2 hex, the board does not work

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
this is fantastic work,thanks G-man, i already made one by
myself, but i found one proplem, it can only be programmed and work with the old hex file, when i program the pic16 by v2 hex, the board does not work
Are you programming with correct file? I have attached it just in case. You have to hold down the button for a good second. Any other details you can provide like pictures would help.

Attachments

xsping

Are you programming with correct file? I have attached it just in case. You have to hold down the button for a good second. Any other details you can provide like pictures would help.
reinstall with attached file above, it works.Before it should be wrong file but same name,tiny diffrent file size , thanks again G-man

Last edited:
I'm not trying to be rushy but I'm new here. Is there a general timeframe for this? I don't want to start my portable without it.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Sorry, should have been more specific. Timeframe for when this will be available for purchase. It just says "available soon" on the bitbuilt store.
It will be back in stock this week. However it usually goes pretty quick. If anyone misses it this week we'll be back to work getting it in stock asap!

It will be back in stock this week. However it usually goes pretty quick. If anyone misses it this week we'll be back to work getting it in stock asap!
Oh so it's out already. I understand. I assume the same is true for the U-AMP. I thought it was just advertisements for products that were releasing soon. No rush though, I'm happy to wait.

noc1

with the WiiPMS do you still need an external 5v PMS for the fan or/and the USB falsh drive ?

Noah

retired
Portables
with the WiiPMS do you still need an external 5v PMS for the fan or/and the USB falsh drive ?
Nope! There’s an onboard 5V boost regulator which you can use to power USB and your screen. Most fans can run off of 3.3V and it’s better to run them off of that, otherwise they’ll be very loud. :P

noc1

alright thanks :D
and do i need a protection circuit for the batteries. as much as i know the WiiPMS contains 4 down stepper and an up stepper, is that right ?

Noah

retired
Portables
No protection boards needed! The PMS is an awesome little board, it handles the charging of the batteries and can tell when they’re fully charged so the PMS is the only power board you need. You can wire the B+ terminal of your battery directly to the B+ pad on the PMS with nothing in between if that makes sense.

noc1

No protection boards needed! The PMS is an awesome little board, it handles the charging of the batteries and can tell when they’re fully charged so the PMS is the only power board you need. You can wire the B+ terminal of your battery directly to the B+ pad on the PMS with nothing in between if that makes sense.
Awesome, then i can abort some order. Thank you :)

I am a big fan of your work. I do have a couple of questions, though. What program would you suggest for viewing and possibly printing this board, so that I can etch it at home? Also, how many layer are in this board? Because if it is more than I can make with some double-sided copper clad laminate, then I'm just going to have to wait until it's on the store again.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I am a big fan of your work. I do have a couple of questions, though. What program would you suggest for viewing and possibly printing this board, so that I can etch it at home? Also, how many layer are in this board? Because if it is more than I can make with some double-sided copper clad laminate, then I'm just going to have to wait until it's on the store again.
The board is 4 layer, you can't make that at home. If you really want to make it yourself you can order the PCB from OSHPark (mostly convenient only if you're in the US) or JLCPCB