Worklog Yet another Ashida build

Hi! I'm Sindrex, a guy from Norway who works in IT.

After initially watching some amazing Wii portable builds on youtube by Shank and Ginger, I was inspired to build my own. I had no prior soldering experience and only electricity knowledge up to highschool level. After reading worklogs and watching some build streams by Ginger I decided on making an Ashida (like everyone else).

I bought a used black Wii with GC ports (4 layer) for about $40. I proceeded to softmod the Wii without issue. I followed the guide by Dubesinhower here. His guides have been very valuable and I will continue to use them to build my Ashida.

Took some time to gather all the required tools and items. I followed the Ashida BOM and a recommended tools list I found on this forum. I still need to buy some items, but I have all I need to start building.
Cost is rounded to nearest $1 at the time I bought them. I paid in NOK, but have converted it to american dollar here.

From Amazon.com
Tools from local supplier Kjell & Co:
Mouser had a norwegian online store so luckily I could buy from there. Digikey did not have any more of the recommended fan, so I bought that from Mouser instead. They had the same model. I also bought some extra hdmi adapters and usb connectors to reach the required cost for free shipping.

Components from Mouser:

Digikey also had a norwegian online store so that's nice! I ended up buying multiples of many components so I have replacements or can use them for future projects.

Components from Digikey:
Components from 4LayerTech:
Components from Electron Shepherd:
Bought the AVE Hdmi kit because I would like to add HDMI support to my Ashida. I will work on making my Ashida work first though.

3D Printing from PCBWay:
  • Ashida 3D print $165
  • Shipping $63
  • Tax $63
  • Total $291
Other items:
Total spent so far on tools and components: $1622

Items I'm missing or want to buy:
  • Isopropanol and a toothbrush to clean with.
  • USB C Power Supply (Anker 65W)
  • USB C to USB C cable 2m (for charging)
  • USB A to USB C cable 1m (for connecting to PC)
  • Carry case

I received the packages.
IMG_3788.jpg
IMG_3806.jpg
IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3810.jpg
IMG_3795.jpg
IMG_3873.jpg

I took apart the GC OEM Controller.
IMG_3792.jpg
IMG_3793.jpg
IMG_3794.jpg

IMG_3801.jpg
IMG_3802.jpg

I took apart my Wii to ready it for trimming.
IMG_3804.jpg
IMG_3803.jpg
IMG_3805.jpg

I started by soldering GC controller parts, UAMP2 and GC+2 to the Ashida PCBs.
IMG_3811.jpg
IMG_3812.jpg
IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg
IMG_3827.jpg

Removed capacitors and trimmed my Wii. Had some issues with the wheel slipping, but it looks like it went well. I sanded as well as I could using K240, K800, K1200. Resistances were good according to the table. I will say I noticed my Multimeter behaved weirdly when checking 3.3V. It has an auto-range feature and it ranged from very high to around 16K ohms. According to another user on this forum whom experienced the same it was fine and their Wii booted. So I will assume it's fine, but I have not tested turning my Wii on yet.
IMG_3830.jpg
IMG_3832.jpg

Notice the bottom capacitor? When I ripped it off the pad came off. Will this be a problem?

IMG_3847.jpg
IMG_3848.jpg
IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg
IMG_3877.jpg
IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg
IMG_3880.jpg

I tried to remove the LDO using Wesk method since I do not have a hot air station. But I have been unable to remove the component itself. My soldering iron runs into an issue with "Thermal Runway" (it shows that on the Pinecil). When I tried to look it up it seemed like the soldering iron is not able to hold the asked temperature, which may be because my power supply is not powerful enough. Will this be a problem or can I still use the Wii with the LDO half-removed? I checked resistance between the solder on the LDO and the 5 pads where the legs were, and they had some resistance (not shorted).

IMG_3875.jpg
IMG_3889.jpg

I removed some stuff from the Screen Drive Board that were not needed. They were in the way of the Ashida controller PCBs when inside the Ashida case.
IMG_3883.jpg

See the top right connector that I removed? The pad came up when I removed it. Will this be a problem?

Lastly I have started connecting some wires to the PMS PD so I can test if my Wii is still alive. Still working on this.

IMG_3888.jpg

Thanks for reading to the end of this first worklog post! I will post updates as I go.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm not sure if the half fucked LDO can be left there in that state, but if your Pinecil can't hold the blob long enough to remove it then I'm not sure what to suggest.
The lifted pad on the screen board is fine, it's just a ground pad.

I'm not sure if the half fucked LDO can be left there in that state, but if your Pinecil can't hold the blob long enough to remove it then I'm not sure what to suggest.
The lifted pad on the screen board is fine, it's just a ground pad.
Thanks for the reply!

I will look into trying a different power supply. Glad to hear the lifted pad is fine ^^

Update 31.08.2023:

I bought the Anker Nano II 65W USB power supply from a local supplier, along with a 2m "Fast Charge" USB C cable. I've seen the Anker being recommended for charging the Ashida, so I wanted to buy it anyways. Figured I could also use it to power my Pinecil.

IMG_3922.jpg

The new power supply definitely helped! The soldering iron rose in temperature much more quickly and was able to hold its temperature when heating up the LDO. Sadly, however, I felt my soldering iron was unable to really grip the solder on it and transfer heat sufficiently. This was also apparent when trying to tin the tip, as the tin would only stick at one spot of the tip. I figured the tip either needed some good cleaning or feared I might have destroyed it already by being careless. Cleaning it with damp swamp and brass wool did not help.

My tip looked like this-ish.
IMG_3934.jpg

I watched some videos on youtube and saw Tip Tinner being recommended. I bought one pack from a local supplier and tried it out. Cleaned the tip with damp swamp and brass wool first, then into the tip tinner it went!

IMG_3933.jpg

Tip after tip tinner.
IMG_3935.jpg

The tip gripped solder much better and with this change I successfully removed the LDO!

Before:
IMG_3928.jpg

After:
IMG_3932.jpg

I cleaned it up with some isopropanol and a toothbrush. Resistances are still fine according to the table. If you look closely at the part where the LDO pad is connected to a wire going to C4 you may see that I did some damage to the board there. I am worried I might have severed the wire going to C4. What kind of consequences does this have? What can I do to check if I have severed it?

Lastly, with the LDO out of the way, I began wiring up voltage wires from the Wii to the PMS2 using 22 AWG stranded wire. I followed Ginger's Wii trim video for this. I found it somewhat hard to properly connect the standed wire to the solder blobs. It was as if they wouldnt grip the solder without a good fight. I pre-tinned the wires even. I'll chalk it up to skill, but I hope I dont have to redo these more than once...

IMG_3937.jpg

Next step is to hook it up to the screen to check if everything works. I dont have a montior that can handle composite afaik, so I'll go directly to the screen I will use in my final build. Crossed fingers!

New items in my inventory:

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Update 31.08.2023:

I bought the Anker Nano II 65W USB power supply from a local supplier, along with a 2m "Fast Charge" USB C cable. I've seen the Anker being recommended for charging the Ashida, so I wanted to buy it anyways. Figured I could also use it to power my Pinecil.

View attachment 29568

The new power supply definitely helped! The soldering iron rose in temperature much more quickly and was able to hold its temperature when heating up the LDO. Sadly, however, I felt my soldering iron was unable to really grip the solder on it and transfer heat sufficiently. This was also apparent when trying to tin the tip, as the tin would only stick at one spot of the tip. I figured the tip either needed some good cleaning or feared I might have destroyed it already by being careless. Cleaning it with damp swamp and brass wool did not help.

My tip looked like this-ish.
View attachment 29569

I watched some videos on youtube and saw Tip Tinner being recommended. I bought one pack from a local supplier and tried it out. Cleaned the tip with damp swamp and brass wool first, then into the tip tinner it went!

View attachment 29570

Tip after tip tinner.
View attachment 29571

The tip gripped solder much better and with this change I successfully removed the LDO!

Before:
View attachment 29572
After:
View attachment 29573

I cleaned it up with some isopropanol and a toothbrush. Resistances are still fine according to the table. If you look closely at the part where the LDO pad is connected to a wire going to C4 you may see that I did some damage to the board there. I am worried I might have severed the wire going to C4. What kind of consequences does this have? What can I do to check if I have severed it?

Lastly, with the LDO out of the way, I began wiring up voltage wires from the Wii to the PMS2 using 22 AWG stranded wire. I followed Ginger's Wii trim video for this. I found it somewhat hard to properly connect the standed wire to the solder blobs. It was as if they wouldnt grip the solder without a good fight. I pre-tinned the wires even. I'll chalk it up to skill, but I hope I dont have to redo these more than once...

View attachment 29574

Next step is to hook it up to the screen to check if everything works. I dont have a montior that can handle composite afaik, so I'll go directly to the screen I will use in my final build. Crossed fingers!

New items in my inventory:
My guy you should not be paying $47 screaming eagles for 500ml of IPA. Check your local arts and crafts stores, they should carry 1-5L jugs for bulk price

My guy you should not be paying $47 screaming eagles for 500ml of IPA. Check your local arts and crafts stores, they should carry 1-5L jugs for bulk price
Hehe, we would too! I mistyped the cost. It should have been $28. I have edited the original comment with the correct price. This is still pretty high though, and if I had done more research I could probably have gotten 1L for something like $11. You live and you learn!