Discussion Wii Powers Itself On

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
So a few years ago I bought myself a brand spankin' new Family Wii from Gamestop.

I had not owned a Wii before this time, and if I could go back, I'd stop myself and smack some sense into the guy behind the counter.

I'd make myself get an original Wii, instead of the Family Wii. The clerk behind the counter told me the Family Wii was Gamecube Compatible, which was why I wanted it, plus playing Smash Bros. That being the reason I'd be smacking some sense into him.

Anyways, so a little while later I find out about softmodding, and all is well, the world rejoices, and I am hailed as a genius by my roommate who bought a wii shortly after me.

Followed the guides and soon my wii was playing all the classics, and the fun began with USB LoaderGX.

So, I have never done any physical mods to this Wii, nor have I installed PM on it.

From time to time, my Wii now decides to turn itself on.

This happens from being fully off (red), and from being in standby (yellow). I notice when it happens because suddenly I'll hear the disc drive kick on.

There are no power surges, or brown outs, and the wiimotes remain untouched on the shelf, so I know it isn't my kids turning it on either.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Sounds like a ghost problem to me. Only way to kill the ghost is to cut the motherboard in half and do an omgwtf.