Worklog The SPSP

I decided to start working on a PS2 portable since it has some of my favorite games from my childhood on it (Kingdom hearts and sly cooper) and I also noticed there was a lacking of sony portables on this site so I decided to change that here is my work so far:

MvCxFe4 - Imgur.jpg

I was also thinking about making a few guides for the ps2 because I noticed there were no guides on this site for it. I will try to make an av pinout and power guide. I was also thinking about making a Free Mcboot guide but this requires you to use a separate game and it would also require me to use separate files that I didn't create I don't know what the policies for that are but I'm assuming I won't be able to since it's not my work.

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You are alright for writing a guide, as long as you aren't just copy/pasting the entire guide from somewhere else.

Here's an update I managed to get 5 volts working for USB again and I relocated it to the regulator for the audio amp I noticed there is a lot of different voltages across the ps2 similar to the Wii. I believe some can be eliminated since there won't be a disk drive in this portable

5jTiywh - Imgur.jpg
meme to prove USB works:

1xjnNS5 - Imgur.jpg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I've been doing a lot of research into the PS2 the past few weeks, I'm glad there's interest in it besides from just myself!

There should be a 5v reg for the usb on the bottom side of the board by the usb drive still intact after the trim, I'd recommend using that instead of the 5v reg for the audio dac.

I removed it because I wanted to see if it would still work after whoops:blush:for now, I will just use the one by the audio amp hopefully someday we will be using TI regulators but then again that's a lot farther down the road I'm going to try to make a guide for pinouts of the controller, memory card, and audio video. I just need to get access to my scanner from my PC downstairs

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I removed it because I wanted to see if it would still work after whoops:blush:for now, I will just use the one by the audio amp hopefully someday we will be using TI regulators but then again that's a lot farther down the road I'm going to try to make a guide for pinouts of the controller, memory card, and audio video. I just need to get access to my scanner from my PC downstairs
Way ahead of you on that ;)

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Interested in making my own PS2p someday, so I'm really interested in your guys' collaborative efforts. Will be watching this thread like a hawk.

Bakuku

Portables
Going to follow this! Been looking into PS2 for some time now but haven't gotten my hands on a 7900x board sadly...

With the Hailraizer's lower voltage mod it's just what I want.

I have another small but upsetting update on this project I worked a lot on this since the last time I posted and made some discoveries but also found some major road blocks here is some of my progress. I also broke the PS2 I had in my first post good thing I have a backup.
FTk4rvKm.jpg

In this picture you can see the memory card is wired up and is functioning because FMCB works, however the controller doesn't work for some reason it spins through the menu almost like the Dpad is always pressed. Im pretty sure its how it is wired though and the membrane is required for the controller to work. Im going to just get a list of road blocks that I found today which shows how difficult the PS2 will be to work with
-There are no easy to wire to vias for the USB similar to the bluetooth module on the wii there is ones close to it but none closer to the CPU, we might have to cut the trace similar to the wii or just not trim much on that side.
-There are 9 wires required for the controller and 8 required for the memory card(let me tell you the controller was a pain to figure out what goes where and it didn't even work in the end)
-Just a general thing we already knew about is the fact that you need a specific revision of the slim which is really rare and expensive the 79001
-There are also many revisions of the controllers and I still don't know what each pin does

I'm still going to try to make an ultimate guide to making a PS2 portable but there are a lot of things that will make portablizing a ps2 difficult we also have to give up the disk drive if we even want it to be remotely small and that sucks because we have to deal with slow loading times because the PS2 uses USB 1.1.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
let me tell you the controller was a pain to figure out what goes where and it didn't even work in the end
I strongly recommend mapping out the controller pins before desoldering the wires or tearing it apart too much. It's not always as simple as counting 1 through 9. Trust me, I fried a PSone because I made too many assumptions.

I know a lot of people will prefer first party for one reason or another, but when it comes to Playstation I go straight to 3rd party so I don't have to put up with that membrane.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
-There are 9 wires required for the controller and 8 required for the memory card(let me tell you the controller was a pain to figure out what goes where and it didn't even work in the end)
-Just a general thing we already knew about is the fact that you need a specific revision of the slim which is really rare and expensive the 79001
I've been picking up 79001 ps2s on ebay for around $20-30, not very hard to find or expensive.

For the controller, one of the pins is 8.5v most likely only required for rumble. Some controller pinouts have pin 8 labeled not connected and others do. It has a trace on the motherboard but the purpose is unknown(if one at all). Also weird, many pinouts label the controller using 3.3v, but it should be 3.5v according to the motherboard.

Also I notice you removed the disk drive laser and motor ics :P

That's weird I could only find ones that were like 60 or 30 plus shipping I'm fine with the price it's just going to be harder to acquire them compared to the Wii since there's only 1 revision that works.
I removed those ics to see if the Ps2 would load games without them and it did!

Portables
I've spent a couple days working on my own PS2P recently, I've found the exact same issue with the controller making the menu spin uncontrollably. I think it's due to an issue with the controller I've put together (specifically the VCC.)

@GarageFactory are you using a Gamestop controller too?

I've made a couple pictures/efforts into wiring these into the mother board and I've had mixed results- a gotcha is I'm using 3Ds sliders instead of the analogue sticks that come on a normal controller as they have a nicer form factor for my case design (secret for now).

I got mine working okay, apart from left joystick, which is on the right in this picture due to flipping the board for easier soldering. It's detached here to test whether it's the slider or the controller (it's the wiring on the slider, VCC I think)

Did you manage to work out your controller issue?

Also, hello everyone

[edit]
for the eagle eyed in here, the battery protection circuit isn't wired properly because I clumsily shorted it, waiting for the replacements.

Last edited:

cfc_12

Portables
I'm still going to try to make an ultimate guide to making a PS2 portable but there are a lot of things that will make portablizing a ps2 difficult we also have to give up the disk drive if we even want it to be remotely small and that sucks because we have to deal with slow loading times because the PS2 uses USB 1.1.
how is loading times related to the cd drive? i don't get it

Portables
@cfc_12 The USB ports are 1.1, which is considerably slower than the read time off of a DVD. If you plan to make a portable without a drive you need USB and loading times are maybe 50%-100% longer from USB. Gameplay is fine but FMVs are choppy on all the games I've tried it on.