Discussion Thank you all for your help!

It's been a while since I've visited this site. And, after many months of enjoyment with my 'once useless' Wii, I would simply like to thank everyone who's contributed to the Wii modding scene, for the development of PortablizeMii, and for those who helped me in the forums.

My system had a serious dysfunction either with the disc drive or the motherboard controller unit for the disc drive that rendered playback of Wii/GC games impossible. And subsequently because Wii applications used calls from the drive/chip in question, I couldn't even launch the basic applications included on the Wii Home Menu. The system was basically rendered a doorstop. The Homebrew community had available a multitude of highly praiseworthy tools for pulling my system from the grave. First it was emulation support, extended system customization, and then Gamecube support. Though, something was still missing. I couldn't play Wii titles or Wii applications. Stepping back a bit, I didn't even know about the disc drive requirement until I stumbled across it randomly in a discussion somewhere. My friend and I were entirely clueless what the hell was wrong with my Wii and why it wouldn't load any Wii apps or load our backups. His did, mine didn't. We gave up on it. When I did find out though, I tried all sorts of settings amongst the various loaders available, but none of them seemed capable of bypassing the disc drive requirement even through a virtualized Wii environment. Weeks of sifting through loaders, tinkering with settings, looking through forums, and many sessions of disassembling and re-assembling my Wii (sometimes with my friend) for cable checks, inspection for corrosion, et cetera lead me absolutely nowhere (by the way, while I may have gotten comfortable with taking apart the Wii, it was, and still is a colossal pain in the butt. SO. MANY. SCREWS!!).

That is until I came across PortablizeMii. A framework/interface for people involved in DIY Wii Portables. I didn't see many videos going over the interface (well, at all really), explaining all functionality, and whathaveyou, but the one feature I was looking for was there: the ability to completely bypass the disc drive and subsequent requirements. I questioned whether to install PortablizeMii for a few days. I didn't know enough about the interface, I didn't know if I'd be sacrificing potential functionality. But eventually I did it. Sure, I messed up the first time, and had didn't have a proper NAND backup, but with the help of the community I got everything up and running. And then finally, my Wii booted Wii games and apps. The console was finally able to do the very thing it was designed to do (outside of the whole ditching the disc drive thing)!

A system that once couldn't even boot any of the applications from the Home Menu is now a thriving home entertainment system for myself, family, and guests. PortablizeMii maybe not have necessarily been intended for the average Wii system, but is evidently a highly functional replacement user experience regardless. Edging out all other Homebrew interfaces I've come across (in my opinion).

Thank you, everyone!