Worklog Retro Lite CM5

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Revision 1.1 of the main board is almost ready to be ordered! I can feel the project end drawing near. There's still a lot to be excited about in the future with this board, like Vulkan support and newer linux kernels which will improve performance significantly compared to the GLES binary blobs. But for now, they work well.

I've been having fun with Box86 too. I wanted to test out our gyro and its working really really well, the EKF algorithm is something else. Portal is the perfect game for using it too (which runs at over 60 FPS, by the way with this SoC! I was surprised). I also installed all of the NSFU titles and they run at playable frame rates too. Wine is really great with this board.

Battery life testing has been rough, however. With a 5Ah cell, we don't exceed more than 2 hours in heavy demanding titles, such as GoW or Shadow of the Colossus. I'm thinking to upgrade to a 6Ah cell since there is plenty of room for that, but the SoC is indeed very power hungry.

We also have a working low power mode. It was a simple as driving PWRON_L to ground momentarily. It'll be interesting to see how "ultra low power" this mode really is. But I got far too excited to see how simple this was to do.

Anyway, things are going very well! There's a few things I want to polish off with the case, like moving everything to the front so that the rear shell doesn't have anything mounted to it, which we are working on. I also would like to make some rubber membranes as I did for the CM4, as the buttons IMO are very loud at the moment.

Last edited:

JMCD

We also have a working low power mode. It was a simple as driving PWRON_L to ground momentarily. It'll be interesting to see how "ultra low power" this mode really is. But I got far too excited to see how simple this was to do.

Haha, I can definitely sense the "clap on, clap off" vibes in that video!

I am blown away by this project, congratulations to you both!

Since you enjoyed the pin clapping, here are a couple more demos from the other side of the world, where I'm working on other power functions for Retro Lite CM5.

Safely shutting down the board with a (long) button press, and then cutting the power:

Safely shutting down the board from the menu, and then (you guessed it) cutting the power:

JMCD

Since you enjoyed the pin clapping, here are a couple more demos from the other side of the world, where I'm working on other power functions for Retro Lite CM5.

Safely shutting down the board with a (long) button press, and then cutting the power:

Safely shutting down the board from the menu, and then (you guessed it) cutting the power:

Nice, nothing like seamless integration to polish a project. I can only aspire to achieve the same for my hodgepodge pi build.

Keep up the great work :)