Ps2 motherboard question

So I figure that most of you may not find an interest in doing such a thing however it would be a good place for fresh Portablelisers to start can you use any ps2 motherboard for a portable? Yes such a noob question are the pinouts such as power video memory cards and controllers the same as the 79001 motherboards Such as other soldering locations? Would it be power efficient what type of bms would be recommended? 3s??? It would be better to start on one of those then Fuck up a precious 79001 as they are getting harder to find and I am aware that certain motherboards of the ps2 slim cannot be trimmed please bear with me

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So I figure that most of you may not find an interest in doing such a thing however it would be a good place for fresh Portablelisers to start can you use any ps2 motherboard for a portable? Yes such a noob question are the pinouts such as power video memory cards and controllers the same as the 79001 motherboards Such as other soldering locations? Would it be power efficient what type of bms would be recommended? 3s??? It would be better to start on one of those then Fuck up a precious 79001 as they are getting harder to find and I am aware that certain motherboards of the ps2 slim cannot be trimmed please bear with me
The A/V port, controller port, and memory card port pinouts are the same across all revisions. I can't really help beyond that as I have no PS2 hardware knowledge, but I have seen people running a few other PS2 slim revisions from a simple 2s battery pack

Sweet thank you stitches I'm going to give it a shot I'll post a worklog on this weekend before I mess with one of my 79001 motherboards I saw a guy on YouTube do it the ps2 portable was rather large but looked pretty clean all In all it actually might even be more of a challenge it's a 77001 model any recommendation on a case? Maybe a website to check out

AFE123

0x737cfb7b4d5677317210bddc07c6a51a 106e1f45330ee7a
Portables
1ish.
Sweet thank you stitches I'm going to give it a shot I'll post a worklog on this weekend before I mess with one of my 79001 motherboards I saw a guy on YouTube do it the ps2 portable was rather large but looked pretty clean all In all it actually might even be more of a challenge it's a 77001 model any recommendation on a case? Maybe a website to check out
It'd be advisable to get the "portable" together and working first, then choose a case around your design. If you look at Ben Heck's Dreamcast build, he organizes the components then makes the general shape of the case. If you're up to the challenge, you can try to learn creating a case w/ 3d printing. Fusion 360 is free for college students and hobbyist (If I'm not mistaken), and there are tons of 3d printing services. Alternatively, pre made cases are available on sites like polycase.

edit: sorry, I didn't read the post correctly. I thought you were planning on building a portable based on a 77001 board.

Last edited:
Portables
There’s a shell on thingiverse for a standard trim 79001 ps2. You could probably get away with just squaring up the board.

You guys are Awesome thank you for the sweet replies and the loads of good info I will definitely get the portable together first and then worry about a case later that's actually how I was going to start in the First place with that 79001 In my previous post anyway ben heck is a legend and fusion 360 is definitely a great program to start with we also have a website like polycase on our side so that can definitely be a good place to look as well so the main question and the main Focus as stitches said that everything else is pretty much mapped out....but (power) how would we go about wiring up that In a 77001? Same as the 79001 or different of course as I do have a good couple of ps2 slims of different models including 9 79001 motherboards before I even mess with my 79001s the first step was to use a larger common motherboard just for the taste of what is like to build a ps2 portable as to do this project you have to love the console enough in wich I do it is my childhood and it is my Favorite console plus the vast library including all of the Japanese imports I mean I can go on and on as all of us probably can but anyway back to the main focus (power) now stitches did say that he has seen one running on a 2s Bms so does the bms wire directly to the board? or will I need to acquire a battery protection circuit also I heard that if you were going to use any controller use a 3rd party not an official sony controller maybe the official controller's are a hell of alot harder to wire up work with? in any case I highly appreciate the support and any further replies will be awesome the worklog will begin this weekend with the start as I will have to order neccessary parts for its operation but I want to do a good job on this portable so new users can use it as good reference o ya and why audio amplifiers were do they wire to? Even on a 79001 cant i find any information on the subject unless I'm just not looking in the right places or I'm an idiot and it is included in the ps2 compendium

Portables
If your doing a standard trim you could power using this 2s bms.
7890B0B3-12AF-47DC-B0EF-94CA738B54EF.jpeg

you’ll have to put a switch connect one side of switch to the ps2 positive power point, the other side of switch to the 2s bms. When your charging battery turn the power off going to ps2.

for the audio check out the ps2 trimming guide

AFE123

0x737cfb7b4d5677317210bddc07c6a51a 106e1f45330ee7a
Portables
1ish.
You guys are Awesome thank you for the sweet replies and the loads of good info I will definitely get the portable together first and then worry about a case later that's actually how I was going to start in the First place with that 79001 In my previous post anyway ben heck is a legend and fusion 360 is definitely a great program to start with we also have a website like polycase on our side so that can definitely be a good place to look as well so the main question and the main Focus as stitches said that everything else is pretty much mapped out....but (power) how would we go about wiring up that In a 77001? Same as the 79001 or different of course as I do have a good couple of ps2 slims of different models including 9 79001 motherboards before I even mess with my 79001s the first step was to use a larger common motherboard just for the taste of what is like to build a ps2 portable as to do this project you have to love the console enough in wich I do it is my childhood and it is my Favorite console plus the vast library including all of the Japanese imports I mean I can go on and on as all of us probably can but anyway back to the main focus (power) now stitches did say that he has seen one running on a 2s Bms so does the bms wire directly to the board? or will I need to acquire a battery protection circuit also I heard that if you were going to use any controller use a 3rd party not an official sony controller maybe the official controller's are a hell of alot harder to wire up work with? in any case I highly appreciate the support and any further replies will be awesome the worklog will begin this weekend with the start as I will have to order neccessary parts for its operation but I want to do a good job on this portable so new users can use it as good reference o ya and why audio amplifiers were do they wire to? Even on a 79001 cant i find any information on the subject unless I'm just not looking in the right places or I'm an idiot and it is included in the ps2 compendium
1657748005090.png

PS2 controllers aren't advised because they use a ribbon face instead of the typical copper pads third party and other controllers have. Because of the ribbon, you can't cut up the controller.

Also, for your first portable, don't worry about making a good reference to new users. The purpose is to build something and learn and get comfortable. If you want to use a 77001 series, go for it! They're way more common than the 79001 series, and it'd make your portable unique. For powering a 77001 series PS2, I don't think it's possible to power a 77001 off 7.4V.

Oh yeah, one more thing for charging. Unless your protection circuit has some sort of charging system implemented, you have to either use a special li ion charger or implement a charging module. A regular power source going directly to the BMS protection can be a Taylor polynomial to very bad stuff. I believe that mistake destroyed the batteries in this portable

Last edited: