Worklog My First Wii Portable - Ashida Edition

Hi All! I've been lurking around her for a couple of months and decided to give building my own portable a go! I've been getting big into repairing game consoles and modding them, especially handhelds, so I figured I would take it to the next step and try and build my own! Thanks to all the awesome videos and resources out there I finally gave it a shot, and here it is!

1707684908952.png

1707684931250.png

1707684945431.png

The case was printed using my Bambulabs P1S with just regular old PLA. The case in total took around 12 hours to print. I then spent the next two weeks filling, priming, sanding on repeat until all the parts came in. I used the Restoleum Galaxy Blue color shift paint as the primary color and finished it with a 2x clear coat. It's not perfect, but hey, it's my first portable!

My first Wii trim went pretty smooth thanks to all the resources out there. Here it is in action after the trim:

1707685176440.png

I don't have a lot of photos during the actual assembly process, besides this one:

1707685242667.png

I did run into two self-inflicted issues; 1) I only used 30AWG solid core wire for the 5v and ground on the PMS-PD which caused the flash drive to not be read (I saw a post from Stitches suggesting to change those to 22 gauge stranded wire at minimum and that solved the problem) and 2) I accidentally wired another via besides MODE to 3v (oops) which caused VGA to not work and also shorted the 3V3 rail. Luckily it doesn't appear that whatever I shorted to the 3v3 rail caused any harm since I fixed it and everything is working.

I did relocate both the MX chip and bluetooth, both of which have been tested and are working great. Still on my to-do list is to relocate wifi, I'm just waiting on a flex ribbon cable order.

All in all this build took quite a bit of time but it was very fun and a great learning experience! Next up I'm going to attempt the G-Boy Rev4U by Dustin. I think for that one I'm going to order an SLA or resin printed case, I haven't really decided yet.

lun7n

Congrats! The paint looks very good imo. I would love to see updates on when you install the Wi-Fi Flex into the Ashida.

Thank you! I left out the angles where I burned through the paint on the handles, but looking at it straight on makes it look decent.