Question Motherboard problem.. Suggestions?

Nick

So I wired up my regulators after removing components, the on board regulators, and the back ICs and their surrounding components. Then connected the u10 to u5. Tried turning on the wii to make sure everything worked before trimming and no luck.. checked the voltages to make sure they were outputting correctly and made sure they were going to the right points on the board.

Did I mess something up or maybe not take enough components off of the board?
Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out?

Can post more pictures if needed

(Sorry for the messy wires I plan on redoing them in a neater way for the final outcome)

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I don't know if I'm missing it, but I don't see a ground wire connected to the board from the regs?

Nick

You were right I didn't have a ground connected to the board at all, but sadly I just added one coming off the last regulator in the chain and still nothing? Any other suggestions?

I don't have the 5v power line from its regulator connected to the board either just electrical taped the end to prevent from touching anywhere its not supposed to on the board, not that that probably matters the trim guide says you dont need it to power the board.

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
You were right I didn't have a ground connected to the board at all, but sadly I just added one coming off the last regulator in the chain and still nothing? Any other suggestions?

I don't have the 5v power line from its regulator connected to the board either just electrical taped the end to prevent from touching anywhere its not supposed to on the board, not that that probably matters the trim guide says you dont need it to power the board.
If you used portablizeMii, it needs a usb drive connected to boot so the 5v needs to be connected to a usb drive. You can hold the reset to boot into priiloader to test that the wii can turn on.

Nick

So it won't even attempt to turn on at all without that line connected? That may be it, I'll connect the 5v up in the AM when I get home from work and see if that solves it. Fingers crossed.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
It should boot without the 5v line. It also will boot without a usb drive, it will just tell you there isn't one connected and won't let you continue from that screen.

Nick

There is no screen because it won't turn on. Maybe I fried my board I guess.

cheese

Staff member
You installed PortablizeMii, correct? Also, try putting in the WiFi board (since you still have the port, it can't hurt)

Nick

I did install portibilize me it was working beforehand, then I took all the components off and connected my regulators (besides the 5v),

You know how near the power tact there's an LED that flashes when you hit the power, that no longer flashs now.

I'll connect the Wifi in the morning when I get off work and see what happens

cheese

Staff member
AFAIK the power led won't work once you do custom regs. You shouldn't have to connect 5v, nothing uses that except for USB

Nick

Ya that's what the trim guide said that's why I left it unconnected. Hopefully the wifi board will make everything work.

cheese

Staff member
Also, double check to see if the cpu/gpu are getting hot. If they get hot slowly then it may still be fixable. If they stay cold or heat up super super fast then you may have fried the board.

Nick

Don't know what happened but after closer inspection one of my ground wires running from regulator to regulator wasn't soldered properly
(don't know how I missed that I checked multiple times)
But resoldered it and the wii finally boots up. Now I know I can trim up the motherboard and move on. Thank god.

Feel slightly stupid though, thank you all for your help this is a great, helpful community. I appreciate it.

Last edited: