Worklog Making A very Simple Wii Portable :)

Hi My name is Declan and I am making a Wii Portable. But I would like some help on the way. I dont have a name but if you guys got any ideas let me know. So basically its a Wii Trimmed With my own Trim where It keeps the stock regulators and stuff required to boot the board when in RVLoader. I will attach a file below too show what the Trim will look like. instead of using VGA (which I really like the idea of) I am using composite. Its all to do with I cant find any good cheap VGA screens. for controls I have a knock off gamecube controller I can wire to the board. I will keep you guys updated on when I continue with the process :)
Snipped Motherboard.PNG

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Those aren't voltage regulators, those are monitoring and control chips that puppet the regulators on the other side of the motherboard. They;'re also quite tricky to get to work properly when the board is trimmed, and consume notably more power than a custom regulator solution like a RVL-PMS or PSU+

Those aren't voltage regulators, those are monitoring and control chips that puppet the regulators on the other side of the motherboard. They;'re also quite tricky to get to work properly when the board is trimmed, and consume notably more power than a custom regulator solution like a RVL-PMS or PSU+
So, what am I to do? The RVL PMS Lite is just out of my budget. Can you please let me know if there are any cheap alternatives please let me know as I've already spent so much money on this project :(

This is from a board members etsy shop, this will work for you and is half the price, it just lacks some of the fancy features the pms has.

This is from a board members etsy shop, this will work for you and is half the price, it just lacks some of the fancy features the pms has.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! But does it really do the job when it comes to battery's? I love the Idea of this and it's something I will buy. I've got some regulators here too so if it doesn't handle charging then I will use this for power and a separate board specifically for charging. If it does handle charging then it would be a dream come true. Again TYSM .

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! But does it really do the job when it comes to battery's? I love the Idea of this and it's something I will buy. I've got some regulators here too so if it doesn't handle charging then I will use this for power and a separate board specifically for charging. If it does handle charging then it would be a dream come true. Again TYSM .
The PSU+ does not handle charging, it's only a regulator board. For charging, you could go old school and use a simple 2S cell arrangement, you could try one of the many cheap USB-C BMS modules, or you can use "The Red Board" (which isn't actually red anymore). Before the PMS became mainstream, we'd use 8.4v protection PCBs with 2-4 18650 cells in a 2S arrangement and couple it with a simple barel jack 8.4v smart charger from amazon. You had to give up the idea of charge and play (unless you use a DPDT switch and a second power supply to run the system while the smart charger runs the batteries), but it was cheap and simple to do.

"The Red Board" is another option. It takes in 9v or 12v from a generic dumb power supply to charge the cells (slowly, it only supports 1A charge rate) and supports charge and play natively.

I can't help much with the USB-C BMS modules as I haven't used any of them, but they are an option for charging if you really want to use USB-C.

Any of these used together with the PSU+ would give you functional power to run the portable.

i shoved this guy in my nomad with some lipos and it worked well, there are plenty of similar options with usb c as mentioned.

Last edited: