Question Gamecube fried?

Frahack

Hey there,I have a GC that since it becomed stupid ,it didn't worked anymore,I mean no video nor audio,But if I plug the disc drive the disc spins and the laser moves,so I think everything is still working but the cube is stupid.what is the problem?The voltages are right but the multimeter says that 1.9v and ground are shorted,but I think it detects only a resistor between them, because they aren't clarely shorted,or at least in the regulator port zone.
The regulator wiring:

The GC on:

The disc drive:

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Well unless it's broken, if your multimeter says that power and gnd are shorted then it's probably right and that could definitely cause problems with the GC.

Also your regulator wiring is really messy and that could be causing some problems. It may be worth your time to invest in a pencil tip for your iron and redo it all.

I'm not expert on GC's but some general troubleshooting tips:

1. Double check that all grounds are connected.
2. Check continuity between wires
3. Verify that your screen is set to the correct input (may not apply in your case)
4. Verify that you soldered to the right locations for grabbing video, etc
5. Verify that your GC is actually outputting the video signal (a sillyscope is best for this but you could probably get by with a multimeter -- you should see that the voltage from the pin changes within a range)
6. Clean up excess solder and clean the board in general. That may be a reason you have a short.

Edit: it also looks like you are bridging multiple pins with your regulator wiring.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You should probably put a heatsink on there, I know the gc chips get pretty hot. Also, shorts can hide in more places than where you would expect them to show up.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
One thing to add: It is better to measure the resistance versus continuity in this application. The capacitors generally have a low resistance that can trigger the multimeter to say they are shorted when they might not be.

Is there a POT between video and gnd going to screen?
I think I can see something ressembling that in his second picture, between the screen and video pins.. Looks like a dissassembled official cable no?

But about that, Do you always put a 10k pot between comp and Gnd? I've never done it on my PAL GCs and have never had real issues other than static... I was always puzzled by that..

Frahack

I know that a variable resistor is needed on the little chip of the composite video,but only if the signal is present but distorted ,here I have no signal constantly.
I have to try the tip n5 of chaos,and anyway I have to clean the mobo

Frahack

I know that a variable resistor is needed on the little chip of the composite video,but only if the signal is present but distorted ,here I have no signal constantly.
I have to try the tip n5 of chaos,and anyway I have to clean the mobo
Anyway I'll try the pot fix,and see what appens

Frahack

Pot fix didn't worked so I decided to buy another GameCube,and make the wiring again, better.
This mobo(of this thread)is probably fried,I'll try trimming this, maybe removing (or making) shorts,and making it work again, anyway I'll maybe integrate a GBA player in my portable(whit the new GameCube I bought),is possible to run GBA player via the wasp fusion?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I've seen a portable on youtube that has the GBP integrated. You'll just need to download the boot disk ISO for it.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
If latency is something that actually matters to your gameplay, there's LL and ULL versions of GBI. The ULL version is reported to be 0-1 frame of input lag.

It probably won't be detectable for the majority of people using portables, considering that the actual latency of the LCDs they'll be using is probably more(so you're gonna have lag no matter what you do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)