Question Friends, I'd like to ask why the Wii can only be connected for AV video output and not VGA output?

Bayou

I've learned a lot here and decided to try making a portable Wii. From installing RVLoader to testing resistors everywhere, everything went smoothly until I encountered an issue with my 3.5-inch 640*480 screen.
I wired it up, but couldn't get the screen to light up in VGA mode. I've tested the soldering repeatedly with a multimeter, initially thinking it might be due to having only one ground (GND) wire. However, even after adding a second GND wire, the screen still wouldn't light up.
So, I soldered the AV output, and it worked (though the picture quality is a bit poor). Can anyone help me figure out what the problem might be?
7VBX]SV_$M3]KZ@}WVEN]GC.png

Here are the diagrams after I disconnected the AV wires and changed the GND connection point, but it's still showing a blue screen. I've tested all the solder points with a multimeter, and they are all connected. This is frustrating, I haven't even started trimming the PCB yet.
$X4`D5Y29F2OBT$NFZUKZZB.png

F091F8OI5H%Q68D3B((7D@K.png

You need to connect mode to 3v3. You also need to install rvloader or another vga patch, as by default those lines output component YPbPr

Bayou

You need to connect mode to 3v3. You also need to install rvloader or another vga patch, as by default those lines output component YPbPr

Thank you for responding so quickly, my friend! I've installed RVLOADER 1.6 along with the VGA patch (I thought it wasn't installed correctly and reinstalled it multiple times). By the way, my HBC interface is inexplicably inverted.
026~[X[DZT5[{`ZYQ8P2~1L_tmb.jpg
3B}PAO]G9BP9BGP2[%H_5SO_tmb.jpg

Should the MODE be continuously connected to 3.3V, or is it just a momentary connection (similar to a switch)?
You're welcome once again!

Connect to 3v3 continuously for vga out. If you are testing things and want to re-enable composite then disconnect it and leave mode open.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thank you for responding so quickly, my friend! I've installed RVLOADER 1.6 along with the VGA patch (I thought it wasn't installed correctly and reinstalled it multiple times). By the way, my HBC interface is inexplicably inverted.
View attachment 31027View attachment 31028

Should the MODE be continuously connected to 3.3V, or is it just a momentary connection (similar to a switch)?
You're welcome once again!
The HBC being inverted is normal. The devs of the HBC put that in there to get people to stop using an outdated CIOS method for normal softmodding, but RVLoader is primarily for portables and needs to alter those IOS modules so we end up with the upside down HBC. Nothing we can do about it unfortunately

Bayou

The HBC being inverted is normal. The devs of the HBC put that in there to get people to stop using an outdated CIOS method for normal softmodding, but RVLoader is primarily for portables and needs to alter those IOS modules so we end up with the upside down HBC. Nothing we can do about it unfortunately
Also, a big thanks to Stitches! This isn't a problem for me, maybe it can even cure my neck pain :), but even after VGA is working, I've encountered two strange usage issues. One is that the screen display ratio is abnormal, and it's shifted to the left. I'm not sure where I went wrong, and I'm seeking your advice on this.
ZDXT%XKG7R@H5S@S85T%XQW.png

QHF87XKDL@UCX6MM1~]DZF0.png

I've tried adjusting the screen ratio settings, but it's not effective. I'm not quite sure, but the display seems normal when using AV?

Bayou

I disconnected the MODE and tested it on my TV, and it seems that even with the original video connection, the display is strangely shifted to the left.

Bayou

I've been tinkering and researching non-stop, getting a bit frustrated. I've tried restoring system initialization, reinstalling HBC, and then installing RVLOADER 1.6. No matter what I do, the screen always appears strangely shifted to the left with the top and bottom stretched.

You need to run the auto adjust in the driver board by touching that pin to ground. Or the buttons work if you still have those.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
The aspect ratio being weird is because your Wii is outputting in 16:9 instead of 4:3. You can change that in the Wiis home menu settings, or with a homebrew program like SettingsEditorGUI

Bayou

You need to run the auto adjust in the driver board by touching that pin to ground. Or the buttons work if you still have those.
Friend, you're right. It seems to be an issue with the screen driver. I messed around with it a bit, and the display went from being squeezed from the sides to being too wide. However, I'm not sure how to fix it yet. I'm figuring it out. Thanks again!

Bayou

The aspect ratio being weird is because your Wii is outputting in 16:9 instead of 4:3. You can change that in the Wiis home menu settings, or with a homebrew program like SettingsEditorGUI
Thanks, OZ, you've taught me a lot. I've set the screen to 4:3, and it seems the issue is with the screen driver. I'll put in some more effort.
Also, I have a question: Once I open a Wii game, my Wii controller is immediately turns off (The GC PLUS module is currently in progress, so only the Wii controller is connected). I've tried several games, and it happens every time.
I can't enter the main Wii interface through the Homebrew Channel; it just shows a black screen. Only when I disconnect MODE from 3.3V and use AV output can I enter the Wii main interface from the Homebrew Channel.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks, OZ, you've taught me a lot. I've set the screen to 4:3, and it seems the issue is with the screen driver. I'll put in some more effort.
Also, I have a question: Once I open a Wii game, my Wii controller is immediately turns off (The GC PLUS module is currently in progress, so only the Wii controller is connected). I've tried several games, and it happens every time.
I can't enter the main Wii interface through the Homebrew Channel; it just shows a black screen. Only when I disconnect MODE from 3.3V and use AV output can I enter the Wii main interface from the Homebrew Channel.
That's normal I believe. The VGA patch is for RVLoader and apps launched through RVLoader

Bayou

That's normal I believe. The VGA patch is for RVLoader and apps launched through RVLoader
Does this mean I can only play Wii games with the NGC controller? That's cool, but sometimes I also want to swing my Master Sword with the Wii controller.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Does this mean I can only play Wii games with the NGC controller? That's cool, but sometimes I also want to swing my Master Sword with the Wii controller.
You can use Wiimotes to play Wii games, but you have to manually enable the bluetooth module in the settings for each game that you want to play with a Wiimote. RVLoader's default is that Wii games use bluetooth emulation, so you have to hit B on each relevant Wii game to open its settings and enable the bluetooth module to allow Wiimotes to remain paired when the game runs.

Last edited:

Bayou

You can use Wiimotes to play Wii games, but you have to manually enable the bluetooth module in the settings for each game that you want to play with a Wiimote. RVLoader's default is that Wii games use bluetooth emulation, so you have to hit B on each relevant Wii game to open it's settings and enable the bluetooth module to allow Wiimotes to remain paired when the game runs.
You're welcome! I'll give it a try. Right now, I'm still dealing with my screen centering issue. Thanks a lot!

Bayou

Sorry for another question. After I couldn't correct the issue with the 3.5-inch screen, I turned to a new 2.88-inch screen. Unfortunately, it only supports HDMI input. Therefore, I'm considering whether I can achieve video display by using a VGA to HDMI converter for feasibility.
I first purchased a simple VGA to HDMI converter and tested it on my computer monitor. Strangely, it caused a ripple-like jitter on my screen. I tried changing the charger or powering it through the USB port on my computer (Google suggested that power issues could be fixed by changing these), but the problem persisted.
Can this phenomenon be eliminated? Or is it due to the large size of the computer monitor, and the same situation won't occur on a 2.88-inch screen?
44.jpg

I'm attaching a video.:https://youtube.com/shorts/BGrdZSjUXyg

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hard to say. It could be the cable, or just the adapter itself

Bayou

I always have bad luck. The new HDMI screen I bought is only capable of displaying vertically. The driver board has only brightness adjustment, and it can only achieve horizontal display when connected to a computer. Unlucky day.
${Z]DPN[)EO)N_J9Y456~MM_tmb.jpg

Changing it to horizontal display seems to require a deep understanding of coding, which I severely lack.