Release F64 Controller Relocation PCB (NUS-CNT & FRAM Fusion)

cy

Portables
As many of you know, I've been working for quite a while now on an N64 portable of my own. Along the way I've developed several of my own PCBs including an N64 controller relocation PCB. This board allows you relocate the NUS-CNT controller chip and oscillator found on OEM N64 controllers. The F64 also features a footprint for FRAM chips like this allowing for built-in controller memory pak functionality! I've gotten several requests now for the files for (or files related to) this project and I've been meaning to release them so here they are!

I'd like to thank @Gman and @SparkleBear for sharing helpful diagrams, providing useful information, and providing component links such as the link for the FRAM chip provided by Gman. I'd also like to thank @CrazyGadget and @Y2K for helping me learn the basics of KiCAD so I could streamline something with so many connections.

Resistor values:
R1 = 5.6k
R2 = 1M
R3 = 10k
R4 = 10k
R5 = 10k

Capacitor value:
C1 = 1Uf

FRAM Chip orientation:

FRAM.png

Here are some shots of the CAD work as well as a pic of it fully assembled:

Front.png
Back.png
CAD.png
Fully Assembled.png

I have included the KiCAD files as well as the files one would need to upload to JLCPCB to order a batch of these.

Enjoy! And if anyone has any questions feel free to leave them in a post below!

Attachments

Last edited:

cy

Portables
The original files I posted for this had an incomplete schematic that didn't include the resistors, capacitor, or Oscilator. There may be a few other minor issues with this, but for now I've updated the schematic and everything else should check out. If you find any other issues, please let me know. Also, please remember that this was my first ever PCB design so I was and still am learning. Thanks!

Thankyou for putting the files up! The chipset footprints are extremely welcomed!

I'm building my own bespoke board at the moment with tacts on the reverse.

I've noticed you've included an additional 3x 10k resistors vs the usual diagram and an extra 1Uf capacitor?

Is there any specific reason you've added them? I'm assuming the cap is for smoothing? But what about the the three additional resistor connected back to Ground and VCC?

Attachments

cy

Portables
Thankyou for putting the files up! The chipset footprints are extremely welcomed!

I'm building my own bespoke board at the moment with tacts on the reverse.

I've noticed you've included an additional 3x 10k resistors vs the usual diagram and an extra 1Uf capacitor?

Is there any specific reason you've added them? I'm assuming the cap is for smoothing? But what about the the three additional resistor connected back to Ground and VCC?
The 10k ohm resistors are either pull up or pull down resistors (I can't remember which), for the FRAM chip. The first batch of these that I ordered from JLC was missing one of these resistors, and the FRAM chip wouldn't keep save data after losing power. So these are important for that specifically in case you're curious. I don't remember what the capacitor was for though if I'm being honest.

Ah thanks for the quick response! I'm building the board on KiCad as I type, so brilliant timing!

I'll be sure to follow your schematic to the letter :D

Reactions: cy