Battery Powered Wii Build

Hi all,

I'm super thrilled to share my battery powered Wii build. This has been a work in progress for a few months, and I was able to finish it and debut it at Low Tide City 2022 last weekend.

Now I know what you're thinking. Jimmymcjimthejim, who are you, how did you figure this out, and why does your name sound familiar?

Section 0.1: Who is Jimmymcjimthejim?

I've dabbled in hardware modding pretty much since the beginning of the Wii. I started with LED modding Wii remotes, and did various other mods such as a slim Wii case and LED modded gamecube controllers. I took my interest in electronics as a profession and I've worked in the electronics industry for several years now. I still play games such as Melee and Kirby Air Ride, and enjoy going to local tournaments for fun.

I started a YouTube channel back in 2007 where I posted video game content for a few years. If my username sounds familiar, that's probably why.

Section 0.2: What is the battery powered Wii?

The battery powered Wii is a hardware mod to put a battery pack inside of the Wii where the disc drive is. This mod is practical for software modded Wiis that do not use the disc drive. This mod, combined with a few accessories, allows the Wii to be played anywhere. The mod is designed to be an intermediate-difficulty project that can be completed in a weekend. This mod is for those of us who do not have the skills, time, or money for a true portable build.

Here is a short video to demonstrate the battery powered Wii:

Section 0.3: How can I do this mod?

Completing the mod requires basic soldering experience and electronics knowledge. In this post I provide a list of parts that I used to complete it. I do not recommend skipping steps or substituting parts, unless you have the knowledge to do so.

Additionally, there are dangers with performing this mod. Lithium batteries can explode or start a fire if not handled correctly. Solder in a well-ventilated room. Follow standard safety precautions when handling lithium batteries and soldering irons.

If you are looking to have a portable Wii setup but are not comfortable doing this mod, there are other options. I recommend using a portable 12V battery pack with a cigarette lighter output and a Wii car power adapter. This is what I used before doing this mod and it works great.

Section 0.4: What display can I use with this mod?

This mod is for adding a battery inside the Wii. Obviously, the Wii needs a display to be playable. The two displays I have used with my portable Wii are the Datel/Intec 7" Wii monitor and the ViewSonic VG1655. The portable 7" Wii monitor is hard to find and the quality is not very good, so I do recommend exploring other options, such as battery powered LCD or even CRT displays. The ViewSonic VG1655 monitor has a great picture and low lag, and can be used as a second PC monitor when not used for the Wii.

Section 1.0: Theory of Operation

The theory is quite simple. A battery pack is internally connected to the Wii 12V input. This is the battery pack I used. Other battery packs can be used if the battery pack has over-charge, over-discharge, and short circuit protection circuitry. The battery pack has one port for the input and output. This allows the battery pack to be charged by the standard Wii 12V 3.7A power adapter. When the power adapter is disconnected, the battery pack provides power internally to the Wii. Power is seamlessly switched between the external power supply and internal battery pack, meaning that the Wii can be unplugged while in use without interruptions to gameplay.

These 12V battery packs can be found in various capacities. I recommend using a 6-cell 18650 battery pack configured for 12V 6000mAh capacity. The six 18650 batteries fit nicely inside the Wii. The six 18650 batteries have enough capacity to be safely charged by the Wii 12V 3.7A adapter.

The battery pack I used has a USB port. This USB port provides 5V and 2.0A. I connected this 5V, 2A supply to one of the Wii's USB ports. This is sufficient for powering the ViewSonic VG1655 portable monitor.

Section 1.1: To be continued :)