Worklog Ashida build, 0 electronics knowledge, help much appreciated

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
What symptoms is it showing? Is it just not posting to the portable screen?

It could be a multitude of issues rather than the whole board being dead.

SartoZ

Portables
Some days ago the wii started to boot only after some hours of rest, I thought that may be a capacitor unable to discharge after the turn off, but after some troubleshooting it began to not booting at all. Eventually I disconnected everything but the RVL PMS2 and the composite cable, tried to solder it on both sides of the mobo (ofc I removed the 3,3V mode cable before)
Now it doesn’t produce neither video output nor heat in gpc and cpu.
Not a big deal, I wasn’t really satisfied with this mobo anyways. I made a lot of mistakes in the process and there was that misterious critical error in the system menu

SartoZ

Portables
Here is a couple of pictures of the current situation.
EA1C56A4-2924-402B-8429-894DD490E44A.jpeg
CEE87F5C-A5D7-43B2-B661-47868035B3D4.jpeg

When it was still working I set the pms to turn on with that kind of switch, so to do all my tests I kept the chip wired with the audio pcb as I dom’t know how to properly wire that switch directly to the pms

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Aside from the cold solder joints, it appears you soldered composite to the wrong side of the composite filter cap footprint. Solder it to the other pad and give it a go. I'd recommend redoing those solder joints with some extra solder and plenty of flux.

SartoZ

Portables
Hello everyone. So as I said I got another wii, got it trimmed and tested, everything was fine, but as I installed it in the shell... nothing changed.
The restart issue was still there. Just like the previous wii it "worked" for like 30 mins, I was able to play something although the video signal was bluish and there was no audio from headphone.
After some swears ad cursing the day I came across this site I think I finally found the problem(s?): I changed a voltage ground wire position from one of those gold screw holes to the one in the 1,15v component, but more important I got rid of the battery cables which were too big and damaged and I changed with some better ones.
Now it works like a charm!!
Then I moved the rgb cables to the downside of the mobo and fixed the blue tone image too! (It simply was the ground and data wires inverted of the red cable :facepalm:)

photo_2023-10-17_02-15-58.jpg

SartoZ

Portables
Now I'm stuck with the headphone problem. They are not detected at all.
I was testing the connections with rvl-amp chip but I noticed that ground and right channel are switched
Nuova immagine bitmap (2).jpg
So I desoldered the chip (even slightly damaging the pcb) and tested the jack pads below and I got the same result
photo_2023-10-17_02-29-01.jpg
That doesn't make any sense, in the diagram of 4layer gnd and hr sould be inverted. Am I missing something?