Worklog [2023 Contest Entry] Apple (W)II

Portables
1 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'd like to think that most people would agree: old computers have a sort of characteristic charm to them. For me in particular, I like the overall simplicity of the design- -everything is box, but it's a fancy box. It's a box with other box-like components that stick out of it and wrap around it and curve into strange, box patterns... it's a box. I've been thinking a lot about these boxes (especially since my other portable needed a new case design.) And lots of inspiration has come into my head, namely...

1686621250336.png

This thing. Windows 95 (source of picture here)

And also

1686621598994.png

That thing: Apple Two (or "II" or "][" or however it's spelled.) (source)

And lastly

1686621748077.png

Another box: this time from Pixar. (source)
With this inspiration in mind, I decided that I wanted to follow through of some kind of "Wii computer," but having a bulky computer and monitor with a Wii inside it doesn't exactly fit well in a transportable case of any kind. (At least, not one that I'd take to the airport.) So the solution was obvious: make it smaller. Hence, I've been working on a rough design of my Wii computer in Fusion 360. It's not finished yet, but I think it's presentable enough that one can get a rough idea of what's happening.

So, here it is!
1686622299838.png

Behold!
This design is more based off of the Apple Two II computer; the monitor is edged on one side while the "computer" section of the case is on the bottom. On the left, there'll eventually be some kind fake disc drive that you can put discs in, although it won't actually do anything except fill in the gap. Meanwhile, some features of the front: The controllers will use Gamecube ports rather than a built in controller. Personally, when I used my previous portable. I enjoyed the feeling of using a real Gamecube controller rather than a built in one. I don't know. Maybe it was because I didn't feel like I made a good controller design for my case (because I didn't), though.

Oh! And there will also be two kinds of video outputs: VGA for the built-in "computer" screen, and AV for output to any other screen, so I'll have to make a switch to disable mode on the side of the case. Screen controls for the built-in monitor are next to the headphone jack and AV output. Not pictured are the future IR LEDS that will be just above the GCC ports. I'm hoping for this to be an all-purpose portable!

That said, the goals for this project are ultimately:
5x 18650 batteries (one pictured in the screen to be connected to the computer section via conductive pads, four in the computer section itself).
VGA video output with switching AV output for other screens (such as the TV in your living room)
Screen controls
Bluetooth and MX chip
Usb ports on the side of the computer. (Maybe plug in a keyboard? Seems appropriate.)

(ok, disclaimer for the first "goal." Technically this means the monitor would have to be connected to the computer whenever it turns on to keep the batteries "in sync" at the same voltage. I initially imagined that the monitor could be taken off and the console could be plugged into a screen like a Noldendo... It still could, just have to put up with the annoyance afterwards :|).

And that's all for this post... more updates to come!
(Ok time to study for exams)

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
You forgot the best box of them all! The AMIGA!!!

That's immediately what I thought of when I saw your model. I'm stoked to see your progress.

Portables
1 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Alright, some more work has been done for the week, and surprisingly, the case work is almost done!

1688259179217.png
1688260018173.png
1688260155258.png
1688261949247.png

So, lots more progress on the inside this time. (Actually, last time didn't have anything on the inside for that matter). Battery holders have been put in place, this time using a bit of a different design than the Groupii, with arches keeping the batteries in their sinkholes. Still have to test print those and see if it'll come out ok. I have more confidence that the GCC ports and RVL-AMP support will come out OK... Oh, and the overall exterior look (ahem minus the air intake) of the portable is- -as far as I can see- -done! I'm pretty satisfied with it look-wise, but for some reason, I didn't think about measuring its size until later. Apparently, the height and length of the build are almost exactly that of a Gamecube, with the width being about 1/3 smaller. Honestly, I thought this was going to be a lot bigger than that, so this was a pleasant surprise to say the least.

In other news: test prints have been made
(Test print #1: Fan vent)
1688261650969.png

This came out much better than I thought it would, especially considering I forgot to turn on support:facepalm:. Anyway, this is meant to be the fan vent stylized in an Apple II FDD. I was a little worried that the fan might not blow enough air out the top of this, but after doing a Melee-heat test on the Groupii with this attached, I felt more comfortable (temperature stayed at +45 C*).

(Test print #2: USB holder):
1688262180418.png

I finally got around to cutting the USB out of my spare (cut-up) Wii motherboard... I can't think of much to say here other than it fits and does what's supposed to; I couldn't ask for a better USB :'-).

And finally
(Non-test print #1: Screen control buttons):
1688262474847.png

Sooooo, I was facing a sort of dilemma with my SCC buttons; the ones I had wouldn't fit in the case. I started to get slightly desperate, digging around my workbench for anything I could economize until I found my old practice soldering board and a spare button. I actually felt it was kind of appropriate for the power button to feel different than the SCC buttons, so I fit it in accordingly. Thus, all the buttons are soldered on, the flux is not cleaned, and some of these joints look like they're not touching because I sinned. (or, ya know, I'm tired and realized that I might not die tonight so I decided to inspect it tomorrow. It happens.)

That's all!

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Screenshot_2023-07-01-20-19-28-047.jpg

Your model looks amazing. I'm really digging it so far. I can't believe that 3D print turned out that fantastic without supports enabled!

Looking forward to seeing more development