Question Modders, What Got You Into Modding?

Portables
e^(i x π) + 0!
How did you guys get into the portablizing hobby? I am interested to hear your stories!

I'll start: Like a lot of people, I got interesting in the hobby when I saw one of Shank Mods videos. More specifically, the video on the WIiVision. I had never seen something so amazing, who could have thought that a WII portable was even possible? I loved it, and eventually I got into electronics as a result. It got me to learn about how to solder. It got me into modding GameCube controllers and attempting to make a bunch of other projects (none of which have been finished). Kind of funny how a single YouTube video got me interested in a hobby I would have never heard of otherwise...

Portables
KiWii Portable (In progress)
First video I saw that got me into modding consoles for the first time was Gingers Video on the Louii, he was actually the first modder I found on YouTube, after seeing this, I was more inspired after seeing Gman's N64 SP, and was officially hooked into the community, first thing I worked on was putting a Wii into a Gamepad, which was inspired by a post I found on another modding site Sudomod, never finished it, but I designed a couple of 3D printed parts modified for fitting custom parts in the Gamepad.

Portables
I was browsing Google images in 2009-2010 looking for fake box art of Majora's mask and ocarina of time for the DS, I figured if Mario 64 could be ported to DS why not Zelda. I stumbled upon Mario's portable n64 "Retro 64" I immediately clicked it and was brought to benheck and modretro and started my own n64p. Best thing I've ever done.

I saw DJ Sures on youtube mod an Atari 2600 with a raspberry pi to play all atari games of flash storage using 2600 hardware.
Many custom consoles later I am Currently working on long build Ashida

cfc_12

Portables
It was Hailrazer's PS2p that I saw back then on 2010 that amazed me. There in the image of the screen of the PS2p while he is playing is Goku from Dragon Ball Z.
At that time I just wanna have a Lazer Doodle so that I can just copy his work and build my own PS2p. But we don't have Lazer Doodle here in my country so I have to find an alternative case, so I bought a sandwich tupperware as my temporary case :XD:. Fast forward after 3 years in the year 2013, I finally got a PS2 7900x and wanted to build my own. Alas, my mistake was that I used a diagonal cutter to trim a motherboard. I was very pissed because after cutting it, it didn't boot up anymore. I only got to boot it up 3 times out of many tries. Frustrated and pissed, I decided to take a break until I got back to make a worklog here on the year 2017 entitled PS2p 3 years hiatus...comeback. The exciting and building journey was on my worklog. I was truly amaze back then on making a PS2p and I thought it was a very hard to build and it was an achievement to me when I completed one on March 2018. :D

Viilmo

Portables
I grew up with a Wii that my dad modded with WiiFlow and I was always interested in it, so a bit of time later to around 2019 I started doing softmods on the Wii and also started to learn to solder. I was always looking for stuff to do with the Wii and found this video that took me down the portablizing rabbithole.

Kirbo

Portables
None..... Yet
I have always been fond of the wii since its what me and my siblings grew up playing on. Its virtual console introduced me into snes games that I really enjoyed. Games like Super Mario World and Castlevania IV. I stopped playing Nintendo console games until I got a switch and then a gba that I ended up modding 2020. I continued making gba consoles with each new revision of gba screens or parts then viewed the gingerofoz's wiiboy color video and and that peaked my interest in modding to a whole new degree as I saw it that it couldn't just give a gba a brighter screen. It could make a wii fit in my pocket from then on I've been gathering parts to make my portable, probably a g-wii, soon.

A combination of YouTubers, mainly Shank, GingerOfOz, and Peter Knetter (bet you weren't expecting that one. He was the guy who made this)1695168697435.png
I'd seen their projects, and was amazed by what they had shown to be possible. Shank's Gboy video is what led me to BitBuilt in the first place, and even though I haven't managed to complete a project yet, they were so inspiration and have gotten me to where I am now.

The first thing that got me into modding, if you could call it that, was using a Raspberry Pi to make a 3D printed portable.
It's a clunky beast of a thing with a 7' screen (and is still a work in progress), then onto a PiGrrl Zero advance (awaiting parts) and now an Ashida!

Portables
I saw Shank's KillMii and quickly started to investigate how can build such a portable or something similar

It was this video for me:

Blew my mind, that's how I found the benheck forums that still exists actually, just has a lot of broken links and pictures.
Modretro came out afterwords but is forever gone, URL no longer exists. All that history gone...

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I came here from Modretro and Assembler too. Such a shame to lose all that knowledge when the sites closed down!

Portables
working on No.1
I was inspired by Ginger of Oz's FakeCube Portable. I was going through a GameCube obsession at the time, and having grown up with the Wii, it blew my mind it could become so small

I came here from Modretro and Assembler too. Such a shame to lose all that knowledge when the sites closed down!
Yeah, so sad, went back to check a few things on the GameCube motherboard when I realized ModRetro has been taken :(
A lot of lost information

Portables
Oh wow I didn't realize modretro was completely down now, I knew it was riddled with missing pictures but last I checked it was still up. RIP.