Worklog The first attempt at creating a portable Wii with the appearance of GB.

Bayou

After an extended period of studying relevant knowledge here, I decided to proceed with the OMGWTF trim, and it was successful!
However, subsequent attempts to further reduce the size led to the demise of the Wii. The CPU and GPU heat up when powered on, but there is no video output. After extensive testing, I had to reluctantly accept the fact—damage may have occurred during the migration of AVE and NAND.
Learning from this, I resolved to complete the AVE and NAND migration before trimming. Unfortunately, due to my negligence, the NAND was once again damaged.
Determined not to give up, I decided to continue and began my third attempt. Lacking knowledge in 3D model construction and printing, I opted to experiment with a third-party GB shell. I used Photoshop to showcase some of my ideas.
GVX$5H}_TZO[`DDGQ)4PBF3.png

It utilizes a 3.5-inch VGA LCD screen and has the capability to switch to HDMI video output for connection to a television, similar to the Switch.
I designed three versions, placing shoulder buttons on the front for two versions and using 3DS joysticks. The Switch joystick was too tall for me. However, after letting these designs sit for a while and reviewing them, I suddenly realized that having too many buttons on the front might not be ideal. In the end, I chose the second version.
I moved the shoulder buttons back to the back, placed a 3DS joystick where the D-pad would be, used a small eight-directional button below instead of the D-pad, and incorporated the right joystick from the New 3DS to meet the requirements of miniaturization.
Next, I encountered an issue with the New 3DS right joystick. Despite its small size, it seems to be an unusual joystick. I purchased two, only to discover it has 4 pins and doesn't match what I thought were V+, V-, X, Y. In the process, I disassembled my New 3DS and found it lacks GND. Perhaps I should consider the joystick from the PSP Go, but it has 6 pins?
NYN5%CI0JTCZ@1H%K4M81V9.png
企业微信截图_17067740949260.png

Bayou

no im saying the gboy is a well fleshed out and documented project that is easily buildable. You can find updated boards and models right here on the site.

Here is an example of one, a very nice one at that

Thank you, buddy, this is indeed a great reference. I also lack 3D modeling skills, so I can only modify existing GB. The placement of the shoulder buttons on the back is indeed a challenge. I prefer a handheld console that can fit in my pocket, so I lean towards smaller joysticks.
Regarding video output, I think perhaps VGA output and HDMI output could be used alternately. Currently, I am testing whether GCVideo's WiiHDMI can be used simultaneously with VGA.

Bayou

Due to the fact that the joysticks I ordered for the PSP3000 and PSPGO have not arrived yet, I proceeded with the WiiHDMI test, but encountered a strange situation.
I printed the PCB board and soldered it, but unfortunately, HDMI video output was not successful, and I found that it simultaneously disrupted the normal video output of the Wii.
QQ图片20240202010956.jpg

So, I gradually removed the soldering lines until completely detached from the Wii motherboard to restore normal functionality. At the same time, I noticed that simply placing the WiiHDMI PCB on the motherboard intermittently interrupted the Wii's normal video output.
This is the GITHUB link for WiiHDMI.
Has anyone encountered such issues when using WiiHDMI?

Bayou

I found that using WiiHDMI causes issues with the original video output because it connects mode to 3.3V, while I'm using an AV cable. Fixing one small issue, now I need to continue testing why WiiHDMI is not working.
33.jpg
44.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ah, yeah if you want to use the WiiHDMI board then you need to use component cables instead of composite cables

Bayou

Ah, yeah if you want to use the WiiHDMI board then you need to use component cables instead of composite cables
Thank you. I wanted to ask if WiiHDMI can be used simultaneously with VGA?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thank you. I wanted to ask if WiiHDMI can be used simultaneously with VGA?
Yes I believe so. The WiiHDMI grabs a copy of the same digital signals from the Wii's GPU that the AVE uses, which allows the two to work separately at the same time. Several people use the WiiHDMI kits for that specific ability. You'll just have to go through the standard effort of wiring a VGA port or making a custom AV cable to get the VGA video out of the Wii since the H and V sync lines for VGA don't run to the AV out port.

Bayou

While waiting for my joystick to arrive, I proceeded with trimming the GB shell and modifying the Wii motherboard. Now, I have joysticks from 3DS, PSP, PSV2000, SWITCH and PSPGO.
I compared them and found that the joysticks from PSPGO and PSV2000 meet my requirements. I've only found the pin definitions for the joysticks of 3DS and SWITCH. However, since I don't have these two game consoles, how should I test their pin definitions?
IMG_7280.JPG
2~7J6BQW2955(NY%TRQNI07.png