Recent content by makho

1. makho

Question Can you trim a gameboy advance motherboard?

Not really much to it. The SoC does everything so you just need that and the RAM. This trim cuts off all power, audio, and controls. No sense trimming more than this because the cart slot is wider and the cartridge itself is taller. Feed the SoC, cart slot, and LCD connector, 2.5v, 3.3v, and...
  2. makho

Question Can you trim a gameboy advance motherboard?

only a little bit
  3. makho

Question Gameboy Color inside of a Pocket

I've made one. I think I was the first to make one with this method. I cannot take credit for the idea and most of the (not yet public) documentation though. That belongs to HoZy. For the most part, you just have to reroute power (battery input, power switch, 5v to system, audio power), audio...
  4. makho

Board scan Visteon Dockable Entertainment Teardown

FWIW, the Sky Active controllers don't work as well as the Visteon controllers. Pressing multiple buttons simultaneously (like B + Right) seems to cause neither button to work. On the Visteon branded controller, this is not the case. I'm working on a full writeup on the controller itself too...
  5. makho

So I went ahead and RE'd the pinout for the button inputs into the CPU (IC1) from the MCU (IC4). IR goes into the MCU through some form of magic which I haven't RE'd yet (and probably never will) but from there the MCU directly pulls the button inputs low to trigger the button inputs. My plan is...
  6. makho

hmm yes. ¿Por qué no los dos? Make a new board to replace the original GBA board with an AGB B E CPU instead of the AGB E CPU so that GB/GBC compatibility is retained then throw something in the open space? For context since I didn't grab a pic of the inside lid for the thread, the lid is...
  7. makho

Wait a second, this is the handhelds forum? Yeah, well, technically the Visteon *is* a handheld. Let me present my case. The Visteon Dockable Entertainment is a portable DVD player with a built in Game Boy Advance. It uses real GBA hardware to run actual game paks. Also, you can watch DVDs on...
  8. makho

BitBuilt Welcome Thread!

hello, I'm makho. I make stupid videos on youtube where I mod game boys and other related nonsense. I like PCB design and reverse engineering and I recently bought an undocumented console that I wanted to share my teardown and analysis of so I made a bitbuilt account to do so.