Recent content by drum6789

1. drum6789

Worklog N64 Desktop Arcade

And we have a working portable! Case worked out way better than I was expecting, although I didn't give enough space for the screen. I was able to scrape away enough 3d material on the screen brace to compensate for that though. And a hidden bonus feature is that it glows in the dark for late...
  2. drum6789

Went back and forth on a couple iterations of more "arcadey" looking designs, but I realized it would be best to start real simple and figure out some more practical aspects of case design, since this is my first case. Started a print for the case today, going to try and put a trial run...
  3. drum6789

TL;DR was working on a similar Wii project, broke my first board and I won't be able to trim for a while (the maker space where I would is under renovation). So I did some smaller projects to improve my soldering. Word of advice if you're a beginner like me - use leaded solder and make sure you...
  4. drum6789

Worklog Desktop Arcade Wii Worklog

Thanks for all the suggestions and help! That's good to know about the soldering iron heat - makes sense my problem was way more that I was holding the tip on the vias for way too long, since I was trying to get all four controller ports connected. I did also use way too broad of a tip at first...
  5. drum6789

I severed the trace where the red X is. The via circled in green was also heavily scratched up, and I might have burnt the via in itself - trying to test the connection between that via and the via above showed no continuity. From my understanding of searching the forum, RA1 serves as a...
  6. drum6789

Update, this board is dead. I managed to sever the connection between the P1 controller rewiring via and the RA1. Not exactly sure how it happened, but the magnet wire I was using was way too thick, so I re-did the connections over and over again - ended up using way too much heat, being sloppy...
  7. drum6789

Yup - so I didn't relocate USB, since the intention was to do a Wii Micro-style "portable". The issue was twofold - first, I didn't power the USB with 5v, and second, I didn't actually enable the 5v regulator on my RVL-PSU. After doing both, I was able to get it to work. I wired up the...
  8. drum6789

Thanks for the suggestions all! As it turns out, some scrubbing with IPA and a toothbrush fixed everything right up. And in exciting news, it boots! I wasn't able to get USB working (the picture is missing the 5v wiring), but the fact that everything else works fine leads me to believe I'm just...
  9. drum6789

Did my first trim today. Tested resistances and it looks like I have a short on the 3.3v line. Tried removing components on the edges and retesting but no dice. Assume that it's a problem with the trim - either I need to sand more, or the trim itself is bad and I'm shorting something that way...
  10. drum6789

Hey all, first project. I got into the idea of portablizing as a kid when I picked up Ben Heck's book and tried to build a portable NES. I did not get very far, but now that I'm older with disposable income and a slightly better attention span, I wanted to give this a proper attempt. I'm...
  11. drum6789

BitBuilt Welcome Thread!

Been lurking a while, now that I was able to successfully complete a U10 relocation I consider that sufficient to start a build log.