Secret Santa 2023: Post your gifts here!

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
Thread for 2023's Secret Santa gift exchange. Post what you've received, reactions, etc!

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
Well, I got home from work today and found a massive box on my front porch. I immediately recognized @That_Random_Guy's name from all the group buy orders and knew I was in something good.

Inside I found a very nice handwritten note plus instructions on opening the packages in the labeled order. Really, thank you for the kind words, @That_Random_Guy. Means a lot.

The black rubber thing is a desk edge protector! I'm going to install it on my workbench, which is bare plywood and tends to dig into my forearms. What a thoughtful gift! There were also two spools of PLA (black and grey). You can never have too much 3D printer filament.

IMG_20231214_174636.jpg

Package number one... extension cord?!
IMG_20231214_175115.jpg

No, it's even better! An OEM N64 expansion pak with ejector tool, a variety of Modbo PS2 modchips, and a Hakko T15-JS02 cartridge! The T15-JS02 is my absolute favorite soldering iron tip of all time! :awesome:
IMG_20231214_175301.jpg

Package number two contained an 8GB Raspberry Pi 5! I got my first Raspberry Pi Model B+ in 2014 and have loved the Pi ever since. Maybe I'll make a Pi5 portable next year... :rothink:
IMG_20231214_175434.jpg

The next package had this lovely boxed Pit Pot hucard for the Sega Mark III (I guess technically it's a "My Card", not a hucard) and a Raphnet SMS to Mark III adapter! I love hucards, they're the coolest video game storage medium out there.

IMG_20231214_175830.jpg

This is where shit got real. The next package contained... a boxed 1-chip Atari 2600?!

IMG_20231214_175940.jpg

pogchamp-pog.gif

Unbelievably cool! Eat your heart out, Ben Heck!

IMG_20231214_180116.jpg

And yet, somehow, I had a feeling something even more incredible was coming...

IMG_20231214_180453.jpg

IMG_20231214_180553.jpg

IMG_20231214_180615.jpg

mindblown-excuse-me.gif

A boxed Sega Mark III! The glorious Japanese equivalent of the Sega Master System! The mid-80s Space Shuttle styling of this thing is absolutely gorgeous. Can't wait to plug in the Pit Pot hucard and play it on my Ikegami monitor!
The label says, "Guaranteed to give you the maximum in game play satisfaction." Indeed...
1702602680978.png

Thank you SO much, @That_Random_Guy! You truly went above and beyond and I love every single gift. Rest assured the modding supplies will be put to good use, and the consoles will be cherished and well taken care of. <3

Last edited:
You do great things for everyone. You Organize group buys to help everyone here get good prices, you also help develop numerous projects like redherrings brighness pcb and shinobi scalers etc. And ive been a part of numerous buys that youve organized or created and will in the future. You deserve every bit of what you got for the hard work you put into this community. I love christmas and what i like most is seeing people reactions. Just like cyframes reaction last year. Thats what makes my day. And while these presents greatly exceed crashes budget. I am not trying to one up users. I just like making peoples day.
Hope everyone has a merry christmas and ill be posting what i recieved later.
Still trying to figure out who you are lol.

Attachments

I just received my Secret Santa package! I don't think there was a username anywhere but thank you to whoever sent this out.

It is an original Gameboy. I'll need to get some games, and it might need a screen replacement. Never had one of these before so very cool.

1702608618342.png

Again, thanks! Merry Christmas :)

Last edited:

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
I too have also received my Secret Santa package today! Kinda weird how 3 of us all got ours at the same time... heh.

This year I got the legendary @Gman, and he sent me an electric screwdriver!

PXL_20231214_051325266.jpg

PXL_20231215_031638384.jpg

I was actually in need of something like this, so he pretty much read my mind, and this is actually a pretty nice one! Super comfy and came with a lot of high quality bits! :D

I've already thanked you privately, but thanks again Gunnar, this was really nice of you. Merry Christmas everyone!

RDNoob26

2023 1st Place
Portables
G-boy Wii, VariaPAD
Thanks to whoever sent me this game! Only problem… I don’t own a PS4 ATM!! Quick trip to the pawn shop solved that issue lol.
View attachment 31036View attachment 31037

I really love to see that you loved it :D

When making the choice of your gift, I remember I saw you mentioned you loved this saga a long time ago in the forums or discord not sure, so I went for it.

I really hope you enjoy this cool game.

nobble

Henlo!

This year was a very trying year for lil ol' nobz. And I just want to first say how much I appreciate you all, and will always be here for anyone in any way possible, even non-modding assistance. From the inner most layer of my PCB, thank you to everyone who has been a friend to me. I wish you all the most creative and energetic year ahead!

Okay, who ever was my Santa BB is awesome! A custom Nobble case to hide my memes?!?! Hack yess!!!!! It goes perfectly with my modded Nobble pocket! I approve of the multicolor textured print! I'll make good use of the cartridges and coins!

Love you all! Thank you Santa! ✨

Modspeed

Attachments

Portables
0.25 (just started)
I have received my gift but I am waiting until christmas to open it! I will edit this post when I do!

I just got my package today. This was really thoughtful. My favorite albums from both artists (mbdtf and ye, and bad are close seconds) and this midi keyboard is amazing. It will ne really useful. Thanks Icy System. I really appreciate your effort. I couldn't ask for better

Attachments

cy

Portables
Henlo!

This year was a very trying year for lil ol' nobz. And I just want to first say how much I appreciate you all, and will always be here for anyone in any way possible, even non-modding assistance. From the inner most layer of my PCB, thank you to everyone who has been a friend to me. I wish you all the most creative and energetic year ahead!

Okay, who ever was my Santa BB is awesome! A custom Nobble case to hide my memes?!?! Hack yess!!!!! It goes perfectly with my modded Nobble pocket! I approve of the multicolor textured print! I'll make good use of the cartridges and coins!

Love you all! Thank you Santa! ✨

Modspeed
Merry Christmas Nobble! I'm glad you're a fan of the custom box I printed for ya! I hope you enjoy the GBA games, I wasn't able to find a ton in terms of original Gameboy or Gameboy Color games so I hope you have a Gameboy Advance and are able to fully enjoy my gift!

nobble

Merry Christmas Nobble! I'm glad you're a fan of the custom box I printed for ya! I hope you enjoy the GBA games, I wasn't able to find a ton in terms of original Gameboy or Gameboy Color games so I hope you have a Gameboy Advance and are able to fully enjoy my gift!
Thank you Cy! You did an amazing job. Nozzle approved! The colors are spot on! 11/10

You are talking to the guy who was once on the GBHD Advance dev team, I managed to save one of the consolizers for memes! ;)

I also have a regular SP somewhere.

Happy Holidays!!!

cy

Portables
This year my secret santa was Ginger! And I can honestly say I wasn't expecting a wonderfully executed set of Cirno (the character in my profile picture) GameCube buttons complete with OEM feeling joysticks! Ginger was even kind enough to include a second Z button in case I wanted to use these in an Ashida, he really thought of everything!

In addition, he was nice enough to include a large handful of orange tact switches that have eluded me and many other forum members along with the cooling components used in both the G-Wii and Louii! I'm just about G-Wii'd out at this point now that I've built four of them, but this cooling setup is my literal favorite because of how quiet, compact, and efficient it manages to be in Wii builds. That said, I already have a custom Wii project of my own that I've done a bit of work on that I planned to use this cooling setup in, so I really couldn't be happier!

Thank you so much for the gift @GingerOfOz! You really outdid yourself this year! :D

20231219_153812.jpg
20231219_153847.jpg

CrashBash

Staff member
>Dear god you really do love Tetris
That gave me a good laugh. Wish I had time to practice and be not trash at tetris and puyo.

Cirno themed buttons are a sick idea actually. I never thought of what a Cirno (or Touhou in general) themed portable would look like but it'd be cool to see. Definitely would need a 9 ball somewhere on it - ⑨ (Ok, who the hell put Cirno on wiktionary for the 9 ball unicode glyph).
Also Ginger you guessed right, those are her wings. Cirno's the "Ice fairy" in Touhou.

Portables
I found this huge box at my door after work today, my secret Santa was @YveltalGriffin and OH MY GOD I couldn’t believe my eyes.
IMG_5462.jpeg

First thing as soon as I open it is a hand written note explaining some of the contents inside the box.

Under that note I see a black box when I pulled it out I got excited to see it was a goku figure. This is going to look great next to my other goku figures I have.

IMG_5464.jpeg
IMG_5465.jpeg

IMG_5498.jpeg

I go back inside the box and find a small brown box saying open me! So I did and found a bag of squishy buttons and custom pcbs, these will come in handy on my next portable.
IMG_5467.jpeg
IMG_5468.jpeg
IMG_5469.jpeg

I also received these digital tweezers I’m going to have so much fun using this in the projects that are coming up.
IMG_5466.jpeg

lastly I see a ps vita box I’m literally jumping around :D I’ve always wanted a vita slim and this one came with sd2vita card.
IMG_5470.jpeg
IMG_5471.jpeg
IMG_5472.jpeg

thank you so much man I will cherish these wonderful gifts.

Last edited:

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
I found this huge box at my door after work today, my secret Santa was @YveltalGriffin and OH MY GOD I couldn’t believe my eyes.
View attachment 31121

First thing as soon as I open it is a hand written note explaining some of the contents inside the box.

Under that note I see a black box when I pulled it out I got excited to see it was a goku figure. This is going to look great next to my other goku figures I have.

View attachment 31122View attachment 31123
I go back inside the box and find a small brown box saying open me! So I did and found a bag of squishy buttons and custom pcbs, these will come in handy on my next portable.
View attachment 31125View attachment 31126View attachment 31127

I also received these digital tweezers I’m going to have so much fun using this in the projects that are coming up. View attachment 31124

lastly I see a ps vita box I’m literally jumping around :D I’ve always wanted a vita slim and this one came with sd2vita card.
View attachment 31128View attachment 31129View attachment 31130
thank you so much man I will cherish these wonderful gifts.
Awesome gifts!

loopj

A dense package arrived from my secret santa yesterday.

I cracked it open to find a nice note from the venerable @cheese himself!

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

In case you missed the meme, someone is selling 1,000 wii nunchucks on ebay for $2.5k, but I think that's outside secret santa budget.

First up in the package was 2 spools of filament, one ABS and one PLA. I use PLA and especially ABS all the time so these will get used in no time (cat for scale)!

IMG_0799.jpg

Then I discovered why this package was still so heavy

IMG_0800.jpg

I’m just about to run out of my previous spool of solder so the timing on this is perfect.

Thanks @cheese very thoughtful!

cheesewave.png

This was my first year participating in secret santa and it was super fun selecting gifts (and receiving them!), sign me up for next year.

Special thanks to @CrashBash for organizing. Merry Christmas nerds.

MikaMaslak

PrankMaster 2022
Portables
Although this arrived Friday last week I have been super slow to make the post. I have been sitting on some incomplete portables for a bit now and I was mostly in need of buttons. @Kamp had me absolutely ecstatic giving me a treasure trove of buttons toggles and mixed used microprocessors. The total list included:

2x OEM gamecube sticks
2x 3DS sliders
2x Joycon sticks
2x dual action tactile switches
28x(?) orange squishy tacts (NOS)
5x right angle tactile switches
1 set of normal Gamecube buttons and sticks
1 set of red Gamecube buttons and sticks
1 set of black DS face buttons
1 set of clear red DS face buttons
1 ESP32
1 Arduino Pro Micro
1 Seeeduino Xiao
1 Digispark Attiny85

PXL_20231216_010001169.jpg

These will look great on my unfinished G-wii (I swear to god I am gonna finish it this time) that has been following me around like a ghost to 5 different address across 3 states since I printed it back in early 2019. (I would also like to note that me and @YveltalGriffin have the same mouse pad in complementary colours)

PXL_20231216_010436348.jpg

Super excited to get this hardware to use @Kamp! Excited to use the MPUs to add some pizzazz to my projects.

CrashBash

Staff member
I was sent a copy of Zelda 2 and an Alice Margatroid figure.

It may be shocking but I think the only zelda game I've bothered playing/finishing was Wind Waker. Only have played probably 10 minutes of the original Zelda? I'll have to pull out my NES some time and give it a play!
In terms of the figure, I think I may have mentioned it on my interests but she's probably my favorite Touhou character. There since the early days on the PC-98, she's known as the "7 colored puppeteer" as (she controls dolls and) the PC-98 could only draw a limited number of colors on screen at once. Considering background colors, text, player sprite colors, bullet colors, etc. there were only 7 or so additional colors to add for enemies and their bullet colors. Alice, unlike the rest of the characters in the game, made use of all 7 in her color pallet. The figure surprised me and is intersesting because it seems to be a mix of her PC-98 and Windows era designs.

Thanks again @Customledmods ! I had a lot of fun figuring out which design elements where used in the figure from each era (after questioning my sanity haha). Merry Christmas!

alice.jpg

> Silly shrine maiden, your two-colored powers are a mere 28.5714 percent as powerful as mine!