Worklog First Wii portable worklog

I decided to make a project worklog as I've been working on a case for a couple days and its starting to come together.
First portable
5" composite screen
OMGWTF trim
(4) 18650 batteries @ 7.4 v 6800 mAh 2s2p
Red charging board
No bluetooth or wifi. Mainly just for GC games
Led rocker switch power button
3ds sliders
Original GameCube D-pad, A,B,X,Y and maybe Z buttons. Those button guides were a PITA...
3d printed L&R buttons with dual tact mod (not modeled yet)
LCD battery indicator on top
Still need to wire controls thanks to @Noah for the GC+
Bowser fan exhaust design

Attachments

Also had an Idea for Lighting up the Back When Charging/Charge Complete with some LED's. ChargingRed.png GreenCharging.png

Thanks I actually think im going to not light up the back, and instead have red/green Mario mushroom above the screen instead lol

I'm currently having issues. With my USB...I have the Samsung fit 64gb, formatted correctly, and it have it wired up to the tiny ic's labeled 6-7 on the bottom of the picture in the guide.. nothing. Im getting the same screen I've been getting after 20seconds. Saying there's no configuration file found, an SD card or USB is needed, and an option to "boot to wii menu". I did realize I never sanded the cut out USB port so I'm going to do that today...also..I have a the "red charging board" and it seems to be working fine but when it's not using wall power I can turn on the Wii once, but thats all until I plug it back in. Maybe the batteries need to be charged? Stupid question, jw if this is normal. I can post pics later

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I'm currently having issues. With my USB...I have the Samsung fit 64gb, formatted correctly, and it have it wired up to the tiny ic's labeled 6-7 on the bottom of the picture in the guide.. nothing. Im getting the same screen I've been getting after 20seconds. Saying there's no configuration file found, an SD card or USB is needed, and an option to "boot to wii menu". I did realize I never sanded the cut out USB port so I'm going to do that today...also..I have a the "red charging board" and it seems to be working fine but when it's not using wall power I can turn on the Wii once, but thats all until I plug it back in. Maybe the batteries need to be charged? Stupid question, jw if this is normal. I can post pics later
Are your USB wires twisted together? Twist the two data lines around each other if you haven't already. I don't think that having the old ports on the board would cause issues.

As for the batterys, have you charged them all the way up yet? Most cells are shipped with very little charge for safety reasons, so you'll want to charge them all the way up before trying to use them.

I honestly haven't charged the batteries in a while probably just almost dead...lol ill charge them then try again. :facepalm: I didn't twist the wires. I'll try that hopefully it works. I saw a lot of people were soldering to the 6&7 vias instead of the two Small components that I soldered to. I thought the guide said to solder where I did but maybe i read it wrong. I noticed which is very annoying that the vias on my board are almost all covered in the green layer making it hard to solder to. Some of the boards I've gotten weren't..wished i just kept my usb port intact... :Pigmas:

Edit- so...ended up getting it to work my dumb@** ended up not having a ground connected to the usb port :( now I just have to finish a few button guides and a few screw posts. Finished my shoulder buttons last night I'm using a male/female post design wrapped in two springs with the dual tacts underneath on a platform.

Last edited:
Okay..for anyone else reading this thread..I need help..again..lol so i started wiring up the gc+ im using DS Sliders..at first I was getting an emu.something error that stated it was outdated and to reset the cache. Then after a few resets that went away mysteriously. I have my slider sx/sy stick functioning except that when I slide it down all the way it resets the cursor to the center of the screen. The left right and up seem fine. And down works half was slid down just not all the way..bad slider possibly? Also..Warning very noob question..but i wanted to wire up my A button just to check pressing options menus and such but I think I'm not wiring it up correctly I understand which legs of the tacts to wire to but is it just a data wire to the "a" on the gc+ to one leg of the tact, and then the other leg to ground? Or does the other leg go to 3.3v?.. thanks