Looking to improve soldering before building a portable Wii

Joined
Oct 3, 2026
Messages
3
Likes
1
Hey! Sorry if this is the millionth "I want to build a portable!" post of the day!

I've been fascinated by portables since I was a kid, watching random portable builds come up on YouTube when I was 12. With builds like the Ashida being so documented now, I feel motivated to throw my hat into the ring.

I have soldering experience that I don't think anyone would rank higher than beginner. Mainly, I've hardwired around 5(?) guitar hero controllers to a Pi Pico allowing them to be used on PC with an incredibly high polling rate. Here's a build guide for that so you can get an idea of my soldering experience https://santroller.com/wiring_guides/guitar.html

I was wondering, what would be the best way to prep my soldering skills to take on a project like this? I've never soldered with magnetic wire so I know I'd have to learn that, but just generally what would be a good way to enhance my soldering skills before tackling a portable?

My soldering setup right now is a Pinecil, although only a sponge to clean off the tip ATM. Ideally anything to help me improve wouldn't break the bank, as I know building a portable is incredibly expensive as well.

Let me know what you think!
 
Back
Top