Question Unresponsive data line

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
I've been scratching my head at this for awhile now, wondering if anyone has any suggestions. So I have the P1 data line going from the transistor at the bottom of the board to a switch to a controller port (haven't setup in internal controller yet). It was working fine but all the sudden it stopped working. There was no continuity between the switch pins so I figured the switch was busted and swapped it out. Threw a new switch in and it still wasn't working.

So to start debugging I flipped the switch (so that it was not connected to the controller port) and I was receiving the proper 3.3v data signal but when I flip the switch back to the controller port it drops to 0.5v. Clearly something must be shorted between the controller ports and the switch. I measured resistances between data and gnd and I get only 800 ohms compared to the 2k ohms on the other data lines. My p2 port was having an issue by being too close to ground and it measured 150 ohms (fixed that).

I was wondering if there's anything I should test before disassembling the wiring for the port because I hotglued everything to make sure there was no shorts and it's going to be a pain in the ass to remove the hot glue enveloping the wires. Also, by just looking at it it doesn't look like anything is shorted..

20170526_223826.jpg

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Poke the hot glue and see if it has any resistance. Also rubbing alcohol is your friend to remove hot glue.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Poke the hot glue and see if it has any resistance. Also rubbing alcohol is your friend to remove hot glue.
If you mean just poking the hot glue blob and seeing if there was any resistance between that and ground I couldn't measure any. Rubbing alcohol works but It was a lot of trouble when I did it before when the wire was enveloped in the hot glue.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Interesting update, removed the hot glue from the port, and the data line started working properly again. I don't know if it was just the wire being in the wrong spot (didn't look like it) or something about the hot glue. But it's strange because the other ports are coated in hot glue with no issues.

Bakuku

Portables
Interesting update, removed the hot glue from the port, and the data line started working properly again. I don't know if it was just the wire being in the wrong spot (didn't look like it) or something about the hot glue. But it's strange because the other ports are coated in hot glue with no issues.
Did you only remove the hotglue or did you retouch it with some solder as well?
Maybe the connection was just making contact because the hot glue was keep it in place?

I have learned from experience that Hotglue is better to be avoided unless absolutely necessary. You're better off using an expoxy based adherence.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Did you only remove the hotglue or did you retouch it with some solder as well?
Maybe the connection was just making contact because the hot glue was keep it in place?

I have learned from experience that Hotglue is better to be avoided unless absolutely necessary. You're better off using an expoxy based adherence.
I didn't touch it with my iron at all. It wasn't working with hot glue and it started working without it. So it wasn't making the connection.