Solved Stuck in USB screen

A month or so ago I was finally able to get my first Wii successfully trimmed, but once I connected the USB data lines, it still wouldn't change the screen or fully boot. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
1000002412.jpg

Portables
Just from what I can see there is a few things you may want to check,
1. That's a pretty long data line try to shorten it and see if that helps.
2. On the Wii side of the data lines the wires are soldered on top of the vias, you should insert them into the vias while soldering them.
3. Idk if it's just for this picture but there isn't an SD card in the slot and that will act like no USB is inserted.
If all these fails you can try to wire to the other set of USB data vias on the Wii.
Good luck!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Probably unrelated, but you've doubled up on the 1.8v line. You have the LDO on the board still and you're supplying 1.8v from the PMS-2. This can cause instability, so I'd remove that 1.8v wire.

You could also run a second ground wire between the Wii and the PMS. Your wires look like 24AWG, which sometimes isn't enough for stable operation with only one ground wire.

So... I tried to shorten the data lines, inserting it into the vias, and swapping the data lines, but it still isn't working for some reason. What's the max recommend length the lines should be? Is there something I'm missing?
1000002423.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So is it getting to the no USB detected screen despite the PD-3?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That's usually indicative of a USB wiring issue. The wire length you have there should be fine, and your twist looks alright, so my next question would be whether you have confirmed that you have D+ and D- wired to the correct pads?

I have also had this kind of problem, the correct connection d+d- can not enter the system, re-soldering to check whether the solder joint is normal

So I decided to check the lines with a multimeter. I think it's shorted somewhere.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Nice! Did you identify what the problem was, or did a fairy somewhere wave her wand and it just started working?

I don't know, I just removed a component on the back before the vias, and it started working.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The CM filters? That's a first, but it kinda makes sense.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Which component is it?
CM1/CM2 and DA7/DA9

The CM and DA components are there to protect the CPU from static discharge. They are not required for operation and can be removed without issue. You lose the static shock protection by removing them, but that's not a problem unless you want to have an externally accessible USB port. An internal port or 4layertech PD module are safe enough without them.

CM1/CM2 and DA7/DA9

The CM and DA components are there to protect the CPU from static discharge. They are not required for operation and can be removed without issue. You lose the static shock protection by removing them, but that's not a problem unless you want to have an externally accessible USB port. An internal port or 4layertech PD module are safe enough without them.
Thank you