I was hoping to avoid this; HELP!!

You could try larger gauge wires for better voltage delivery. Also make sure your battery voltage is 3.6-3.7 volts.
Good news, possibly!!

I swapped out the wires between the battery holder and the PMS and the fan spun with all voltage lines (and GND) connected!!

After hooking it to the TV, I didn't get the RVloader screen however, I got the attached image.
Any suggestions on this? Is it a dodgy hookup of the video lines?

Attachments

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Progress!!

That's a very interesting image on the screen. It's at least outputting.... Something...

How long is your AV cable? You're still using an RCA and composite video?

Progress!!

That's a very interesting image on the screen. It's at least outputting.... Something...

How long is your AV cable? You're still using an RCA and composite video?
Thanks for the suggestion about the voltage lines. Looks like it helped for sure.
I am using a chopped RCA cable, its about 1m long, hooked up as in the image.

Attachments

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Interesting choice using the SMD capacitor for ground.

Try resoldering it to a GND screw post and see if the image posts correctly.

Also, do you have your U10 emulator wire soldering to the Wii? That's required to boot.

Interesting choice using the SMD capacitor for ground.

Try resoldering it to a GND screw post and see if the image posts correctly.

Also, do you have your U10 emulator wire soldering to the Wii? That's required to boot.
I actually saw it connected like this on a Youtube Wii trim video so thought, why not?
Moved the ground to the screw post but no difference in the video output.

I do, I have a 30AWG wire running from the U10 via on the backside of the Wii board to the U10 port on the PMS.

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
If it's not posting, but getting voltage to the board correctly. Id recommend redoing your solder joint for the U10 wire on the PMS and the Wii side and see if that allows it to boot properly.

Do you have another TV you can connect it to? Normally when Wii trims aren't posting correctly. It's just a black screen.

If it's not posting, but getting voltage to the board correctly. Id recommend redoing your solder joint for the U10 wire on the PMS and the Wii side and see if that allows it to boot properly.

Do you have another TV you can connect it to? Normally when Wii trims aren't posting correctly. It's just a black screen.
Hmm, interesting about the Wii usually outputting black screen only if it isnt booting.
Tried resoldering the U10, with a new length of magnet wire but to no avail.

Although, I tested the voltages on the Wii board after I turned it on and I think this is the issue.
(Just to confirm, I have the multimeter on 20VDC, the red pin on the Wii board at the voltage to test, and the black pin on the GND screw post of the Wii)

1v and GND 0.70v
1.15v and GND 0.86v
1.8v and GND 1.53v
3.3v and GND 3.02v

you mentioned, Retro, that it had to be within 5% for it to boot.

The voltage of the battery is 4.06v. What could cause voltage drop?

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
That video output looks as if the NAND isn't ""starting up"", which makes sense given your voltages.
Have any more recent pics of your board? Cleaning it with IPA would be a good start.

That video output looks as if the NAND isn't ""starting up"", which makes sense given your voltages.
Have any more recent pics of your board? Cleaning it with IPA would be a good start.
It makes a lot of sense. Is this evidence that each component is not getting the required voltage to "start up"?

Got some more shots of the board at the moment. Can you see anything I may be missing?
Just desoldered and scrubbed it all down, VERY well with IPA. Then again after resoldering

Attachments

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
Soldering looks fine. Still need to reduce the amount of exposed wire if possible, but much better than before.

Are you still getting dropped voltage at the Wii after resoldering?

If you're still getting voltage drop on the Wii, but not on the PMS after resoldering. Then your issue is either the solder joints, or the wire itself.

If that's old wire, and it's oxidized then it can create resistance at your solder joints. Id recommend replacing your wire with something that's pre-tinned.

If had really good results with This. You might be able to find something at a local hardware store too.

You bunch of absolute ledgehammers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I officially have a cut and working OMGWTF Wii cut.

Thank you Retro, I took your advice and replaced my current jumper wires with pretinned wires, replaced all the voltage lines and to my amazement, RVloader appeared on the TV.

I can't extend my gratitude enough to all of you for taking the time to help me on my project.
If there's any way I can repay the favour, just let me know.

Happy modding, I will try and get some updates along the way with my Ashida.

Cheers lads,

Retro95

2023 3rd Place
Portables
That's fantastic news Labrat! I'm so glad it worked out!!

can't extend my gratitude enough to all of you for taking the time to help me on my project.
If there's any way I can repay the favour, just let me know
That's the really awesome thing about this community is we all help each other out when we can.

We won't ask for you to repay the favor, but to pay it forward instead by helping others down the road if possible.

Banaza

Hmm, interesting about the Wii usually outputting black screen only if it isnt booting.
Tried resoldering the U10, with a new length of magnet wire but to no avail.

Although, I tested the voltages on the Wii board after I turned it on and I think this is the issue.
(Just to confirm, I have the multimeter on 20VDC, the red pin on the Wii board at the voltage to test, and the black pin on the GND screw post of the Wii)

1v and GND 0.70v
1.15v and GND 0.86v
1.8v and GND 1.53v
3.3v and GND 3.02v

you mentioned, Retro, that it had to be within 5% for it to boot.
The journey from drab to fab in my creative endeavors was initiated by a transformative discovery – a repository of stock photos that added brilliance to my work. The website wood vector I encountered was a visual wonderland, replete with high-quality images spanning a multitude of themes. With these newfound resources, my content has evolved from ordinary to extraordinary, captivating audiences and making it more memorable.
The voltage of the battery is 4.06v. What could cause voltage drop?
Thank you so much for cluing me in. I learned a lot from you.

Thank you so much for cluing me in. I learned a lot from you.
Hey mate,

Glad the discussion could give you some help. I wanted to try and leave as much detail so as to help anyone else in my shoes in the future.
But the thanks go to the others helping me through these issues.

Cheers,