Question Custom charge and play PCB

vikMKW

My goal is to achieve automatic & continuous charge and play when an external PSU is connected. I’ve been digging up peoples’ solutions, and there are some sophisticated ones (i.e. USB-C PD)! I’d like to implement a simpler solution using dedicated Power Path ICs.

Since what I want is effectively mimicking what a laptop does, I started to look at how those guys do it. I came across the LTC4412 and the example from Figure 3 looks like the way to go, but before I go too deep, I’d like to bounce ideas. I started some crude back-of-the-envelope schematic design. Would this work so far?

https://prnt.sc/qovr2p

PS - Thinking of also designing my own BMS with balance charging, short circuit protection, over discharge protection, and a fuel gauge because those generic boards are awful. Though that's a separate thread lol.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Check out the Wiipms design if you havent, it's all opensource. The IC I use integrates the power path management, battery charging, battery protection, all in one IC.

vikMKW

Check out the Wiipms design if you havent, it's all opensource. The IC I use integrates the power path management, battery charging, battery protection, all in one IC.
They brought in the big guy himself! Your contributions are much appreciated.

I've certainly drawn inspiration from it. I'm going to need 12V to power my LCD, so I'm looking at a 3S2P/3S3P configuration. Plus I have my PTH regulators on hand. Gotta learn to navigate KiCad to check out your schematics for sure.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
What screen are you using? A lot of screens say they need 12v, but can be modified to run off of 3.3v./5v.

vikMKW