Advise and help building a PS2 Portable

Hello there,

I finally decided to begin this Project. But I am inexpierienced in console modding (or electronics in generall i guess) so I thought you guys can help me out.
Since many years I wanted to build this thing but I didn't had the confidence to try this out.

So on wich parts do i need help? Let me break it down for you:

Motherboard:
I already have a PS2 Slim SCPH-7900X board. I do not plan to trim it since it's already a small board. I really think i shouln't do ot because i am scared of damaging my board.
Well at least not fully. Is it possible to cut off the piece that sticks out (where one of the USB Ports and the connector is located)?
I plan on keeping the AV out, at least one Controller Port, at least one USB port and the power plug so i can hook it up to a TV to use it as a stationary console if i want (and if it's possible).
Can i hardwire a FreeMCboot MemoryCard to the board?

1601161099238.png

Screen:
Another reason for me to not risk the trim is the 7inch Screen i want to use. That'll make the case bigger obviously.
Is the following screen is usable? https://www.ebay.de/itm/7-Auto-TFT-...-fur-Ruckfahrkamera-PKW-LKW-Auto/143628044975
It is in german. It is a screen for reverse gear cams in cars. 16:9 ratio with a resolution of 800x480 powered with 12 Volts (i think this could be a problem, i guess). It is a very cheap screen but i think the resolution should be ok.

Battery:
Also, I have really no clue about the battery situation. What kind of battery do i need? I imagine i need some kind of board for the batterycirciut. How do i charge them? Do i need an extra charging port?

Controller:
I guess using the original DS2 isn't really working for the facebuttons right? So what would be the better choise: Using some tactile switches for example, or maybe a moddable 3rd party controller? I know that i can use the board of the DS2 but like i said the facebuttons will make this a bit more difficult because of the flex pcb Sony is using.

Sound:
Having front stereo sound and also a headphone jack would be a dream. Do i need an Amp-board for that? What speakers do you reccomend? They don't need to be the best sounding speakers.

Well, these are a lot of questions i know. But i hope it isn't too much to ask for. I know this isn't a beginner level project but i really think i can do it.
I am also lucky to have a 3D Printer. So at least designing and creating the case shouldn't be a problem i can't face with my own knowledge.
Did i miss something? Maybe.. probably.. but there you go.

Thank you in advance
Regards
Talhaman

Last edited:
I would advise against using that screen, as you have no idea how big the driver board is, and with the composite input, the image quality is going to be scheisse. You should look into any of the screens marketed toward single board computers like the Raspberry Pi, they'll have far better performance, image quality, input range, and best of all their specs are usually open source, or at least publicly available.

Definitely chop off the bit that sticks out though, and retain the AV port if you wish, but I can nearly guarantee you won't use it.

As for batteries and charging, unless you chop off the power electronics of the PS2 board, or otherwise somehow disable them, you will probably end up running the system at a considerable loss in terms of battery life. I would HIGHLY recommend the devices being sold in the BitBuilt store, as they have been tailor made to fit these applications, and there's even one that handles your audio and headphones!!

The fact that you have a 3D printer is a boon to you though, and it probably means that you know your way around some CAD software. Have you ever designed PCBs?

Thank you very much for the reply.

Well, i looked for another screen. This one looks fine i guess: 7inch Screen Amazon what do you think? I hope it isn't scheisse :D.

I'll definitely check out the Bitbuilt Shop for the Battery and Sound stuff. Should have checked it out earlier so thanks for pointing that out.
I am not a CAD Master but i can use it a little bit. My goal with this project is not just to have a PS2 Protalbe. I want to learn new skills by creating something like this.
Unfortunately I've never designed a PCB before. I guess you suggest it for the Controller Part? I definitely going to look into it.

Well I can certainly understand your drive. I too decided to learn all the skills of the trade on a PS2 portable project, and it led me down a rabbit hole of disciplines, eventually I was able to solder as well as @Gman does now (he's actually someone you should talk to, he's developed a lot of methods for PS2 portablizing) and once I started using a PCB design software... Oh baby lol.

But anyway, that screen you've proposed is a very good choice for your portable, more expensive yes, but since I assume you hope this project will yield a device which you can use, you'll want it to be as reliable as possible. It also has two more options for video input, either one of which will be able to give you significantly higher picture quality. And not only that, you'll be able to compare them to the composite input so you can see what I mean lol.

Again I think you should talk to @Gman , he's developed a controller replacement, and a rather impressive but difficult video total conversion to give the device native VGA, and unlike my native HDMI idea, his has actually been shown to work

Ok, i ordered the screen thanks for the advise. And you are right, it may be my first project but i want it to be as good as possible (within my possibilities).

I'll check out Gman's Stuff of course. His Videos on YT motivated me a long time ago so i can only imagine how much it'll help!

Well gosh darn it if talking to you about this hasn't given me the bug lol, here is, for anyone who wishes to use it, a Flat Flex PCB that can be ordered from OSH Park to make the VGA mod less like spaghetti:

You just place it over the footprint of the removed video converter chip (obviously the footprint will still need to be there, so less trimming potential) and use the tip of a soldering iron and a blob of solder to fuse the pads on the bottom of the Flat Flex to the main board of the PS2, with a nice little 30-pin ribbon ready to be plugged into a @Gman style VGA board

FYI this is version 1.0

i wish you good luck on it, I always wanted to make a portable PS2, but i dont got alot of money to do it
Thank you! I didn't knew that some parts would cost that much before I started. I can understand. That's why I didn't started with stuff like this when I was younger and didn't make my own money.

I guess buying all the parts bit by bit every few months is the way to go