Question Advice for testing Video-Out on Wii trim

Hello, everyone! Due to a complicated situation involving enabling VGA on my Wii and then breaking my VGA to HDMI board and having already desoldered the Wii’s normal video port and being in no position to put a new one back in, I find myself unable to currently test video out on my trimmed Wii :facepalm:. I know it is possible to force component out with the VGA patch, but I’m pretty sure that only works when you have a video port. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could go about testing the video on this thing? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
60166C55-3931-4AA5-B303-EBC049D90E20.jpeg

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
You can wire composite directly to the board (right at the video port, to the composite filter cap, to the via on the back, there are many options!). Just make sure you don't have mode tied to 3v3.

Thanks for the reply! And just wiring it up like that will bypass the VGA patch? This might sound super jank, but could I just run two wires (one composite and one GND) directly to a male to male Y video connector cable and connect that to a monitor?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks for the reply! And just wiring it up like that will bypass the VGA patch? This might sound super jank, but could I just run two wires (one composite and one GND) directly to a male to male Y video connector cable and connect that to a monitor?
The VGA patch only replaces the composite YPbPr output with VGA. Composite video works as normal when mode is disconnected from 3.3v, but there is also a debug tool left in where if you start the system with 3.3v shorted to mode, then disconnect 3.3v from mode and reconnect it (via a switch probably), the VGA output will revert back to YPbPr for that particular boot cycle. If connecting the board to a component screen is more convenient, you could do it that way, otherwise composite works fine with mode disconnected.