Search results

  1. YveltalGriffin

    No sound from portable Super Famicom, only video

    Wiring looks reasonable. Some things to try: Amp: Connect a different audio source to the amp, to confirm it works SNES: Wire the SNES audio to a headphone jack, and see if you can hear it with headphones Try reseating the sound module, if your motherboard has one Measure the sound pins...
  2. YveltalGriffin

    No sound from portable Super Famicom, only video

    The brownout issue and no sound issue are probably separate. My previous comments were only related to solving the brownout. Here's how my 1000uF 6.3V cap looks on the SNES mobo. It should be located close to the power input of the audio amp, so it can supply the bursts of current the amp...
  3. YveltalGriffin

    No sound from portable Super Famicom, only video

    I had a similar issue recently when testing a new audio amp on a SNES. The peaky current draw from the audio amp on the SNES's 5V rail caused the SNES to brownout and reset. My temporary fix was adding a large (220uF+) electrolytic capacitor to the SNES motherboard, right next to where the...
  4. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Trimming the Dreamcast Even Further Beyond

    2022 - 2023 (continued) After four failed AICAflex revisions and hundreds of bucks down the drain, I decided to backtrack a bit and ensure that the AICA + audio SDRAM could be relocated successfully. This was necessary work because in my early tests, I had only confirmed that the DC booted, and...
  5. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Trimming the Dreamcast Even Further Beyond

    Appreciate the enthusiasm, guys! After spending a lot of time combing through old photos and DMs with Wesk and Colton, I've pieced together the AICAflex saga. Thank goodness I messaged folks about the trials and tribulations, because I had forgotten almost all of the nitty gritty details. 2021...
  6. YveltalGriffin

    Solved N64 Portable - How to connect LCD display

    In my experience, that black driver board only accepts 480i and 480p RGBHV. Sync-separated 240p RGBHV did not work the last time I tried it. EDIT: video showing behavior (SNES game with 480i menus, 240p the rest of the time) Since the vast majority of N64 titles output 240p, you're kinda forced...
  7. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Trimming the Dreamcast Even Further Beyond

    2021 (continued) After proving out the manual AICA relocation, I started designing "AICAflex" to relocate the AICA and SDRAM. ElectronAsh seemed to have had some success replacing the AICA SDRAM with a BGA part, so I decided to go that route to save space. This was before KiCAD had the...
  8. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Trimming the Dreamcast Even Further Beyond

    This thread will be a technical deep dive into my journey to trim the Sega Dreamcast even further beyond. I’ve been working on this project for over 5 years, mostly in private. It's been very challenging, and a huge learning experience for me. The many lessons I've learned from Dreamcast trim...
  9. YveltalGriffin

    Secret Santa 2024: Post/Discuss your gifts here!

    My gift arrived today! I got some delicious toffee and a beautiful pink candle! Is the candle homemade? The wooden wick makes me think so. Smells awesome, like rosewater. Yum, even more homebaked goodies! The last thing in the box made me absolutely giddy! A stained wood Dread Suit Samus...
  10. YveltalGriffin

    Question question about joystick

    Joycon sticks and Vita sticks output analog X and Y signals just like any other joystick. You can connect them directly to the controller, and they'll function, but the deadzones and sensitivity may not be great due to the sticks' different construction and output voltage ranges. Vita 2000...
  11. YveltalGriffin

    4:3 5 inch AV screen thats not a psone screen

    ZJ050NA-08C is what you're after! AliExpress eBay
  12. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog OME6A - The 6-layer OMEGA

    Hell yeah, I'm so glad someone finally did it! :awesome:
  13. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Kawaii

    The Hollywood-2 Kawaii is alive! I'll let the pics do the talking. Final dock revision (for real this time!) Thermals are already way, WAY better than before. More testing to come after Thanksgiving!
  14. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Wii Mini Documentation

    I'm working on a Hollywood-2 OMEGA for Kawaii and made these quick diagrams for USB + GC controllers. Sharing them here for posterity!
  15. YveltalGriffin

    Question Lead-free SMD solder & flux recommendations?

    .020" solder is great for portablizing-type stuff. Besides SAC305 and SN100C, maybe consider Kester 275 K100LD? In terms of flux, these are all good options the community likes: Chipquik SMD291 and SMD491 MG Chemicals 8341 Amtech NC-559-v2-TF (or Stirri V3-TF) When I need liquid low-solids...
  16. YveltalGriffin

    Ghosts αSNES

    Today I conducted some SNES Jr. undervolting and power measurement tests. Amazingly, the 1Chip system can run from 4V and even 3.8V with no issues besides reduced video levels! Here are the results. This is total SNES power consumption, including the cartridge, a controller, and Scampi in...
  17. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Modernized Wii spii

    Well, first off I'd swap that Kynar for some 34AWG magnet wire: Did you hot air the AVE onto the flex after tinning the GND pad? If the AVE's exposed pad isn't soldered to the FPC, the AVE will misbehave. Also, some of the AVE legs on the left side don't look well-soldered. Nudge each one...
  18. YveltalGriffin

    Ghosts αSNES

    Well, I'm making slow but steady progress on the mainboard. I cleaned up the SNES core schematic, which was a disgusting EAGLE mess before because I didn't know what I was doing. The Super Everdrive schematic is done, and the routing is in progress. What I'm dreading is the cartridge...
  19. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Wii Mini Documentation

    Oof, document scanners aren't ideal for this. Definitely try to find a photo scanner if you can! Self-service office places are a good place to look. If you can't find one locally, Epson brand scanners (4800+ DPI) can be had on eBay for ~$50. Redherring32 and Lazr got on the Epson train and can...
  20. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Wii Mini Documentation

    Good stuff! What DPI will you be scanning at? I find 2400DPI TIFF ideal for boards of this density.
Back
Top