Search results

  1. YveltalGriffin

    What is your electronic background?

    I got into retro emulation and hardware, then into hardware modding, and eventually into portablizing. Right now, I'm getting my BSEE and I work at a local makerspace. My portablizing/practical knowledge has gotten me gigs writing EE curriculum with my professors, which is pretty cool. EE theory...
  2. YveltalGriffin

    Screen help

    Stitches is totally right. I did some searching and the AM7331 is a digital picture frame SOC. The SOC contains a CPU, LCD driver, and some other interesting modules. Here's a PDF with a pinout of the AM7331 if you're interested. As the pinout shows, this IC was specifically made to read in data...
  3. YveltalGriffin

    NetBoy - A network-focused portable for games and work

    This looks awesome! I've been hoping someone would recase a mobile device, since they're generally more powerful than cheap SBCs. Any plans to increase battery capacity?
  4. YveltalGriffin

    Ghosts UltraWii Revitalized

    Well, the time has come to post my 2018 summer contest entry worklog. This bad boy has been in the works for a while. Here's the long list of sexy features: - OMEGA-trimmed RVK mobo (maybe just "near-OMEGA," we'll see what the case wants) - Polycase SL-53 case, making this one of the smallest...
  5. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Maciintosh - Fartboilers first WiiP

    Looks awesome. I'm really stoked to see a pure-Wii portable with Wiimote controls! And good luck spoofing the Wiimote IR signals. It's standard I2C, shouldn't be too bad.
  6. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Luwiigi Portable Worklog!

    The red board is only good for 2 cells in series (2S.) You can add more cells in parallel (2S2P, 2S4P, etc.) but not more cells in series. If you decide to trim the mobo and use custom regulators, you can use the batteries in 2S2P with the red board. If do not trim the Wii you cannot use the red...
  7. YveltalGriffin

    Model Mini-Keyboard Mounting Solution

    The Odroid XU4 is a good choice. A little pricier than a Pi, but it emulates N64 and Dreamcast very well.
  8. YveltalGriffin

    Nobble's Pikaboy SP: Pokemon-themed RetroPie console in a GBA SP shell.

    *bump* I'm here as always to vouch for using the RasPi's GPIO for DPI (display parallel interface.) You could go for 18- or 20-bit color rather than full 24-bit and still have GPIO left for controls if you wanted. Benefits of using DPI: Digital, 60Hz, pixel-perfect output, no driver board...
  9. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog PIS2, a long overdue ps2 portable

    Have you gotten rid of the VGA Auto-Calibration screen somehow?
  10. YveltalGriffin

    Question My 8 year old n64 portable charge and play

    100uF is in the right ballpark, but the necessary value will be experimentally determined. It'll be connected between the positive and negative of the power bank output, just like Cheese said. Make sure you have the polarity correct when you wire it up. (Look for the side with the stripe on the...
  11. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Bayjose's Wii Portable

    I like that LCD. Must have cost a lot if it's Full HD! I think the aluminum foil to shield the video lines is a good idea, but I would recommend covering a sheet of foil in electrical tape and then wrapping the wires with it. That way you get the shielding you want, but without bare metal near...
  12. YveltalGriffin

    $10 3.5" Screen? Has anyone used one of these?

    Just found the datasheet for the video decoder. (TW9910 for those interested.) Only supports composite and software-selectable s-video. The datasheet also confirms that the decoder runs on 3.3V.
  13. YveltalGriffin

    N64AP

    At first I thought the labels on the first photo were actually stickers. Anyway, awesome build. I especially like how the cart slot is in the main body.
  14. YveltalGriffin

    $10 3.5" Screen? Has anyone used one of these?

    If you can, Wii and N64. Thanks Fibs!
  15. YveltalGriffin

    $10 3.5" Screen? Has anyone used one of these?

    If you do decide to buy that screen, be aware that the video decoder and other chips on the driver board are not standard by any means. Most common screens have an MStar (MST-XXX) chip, or a Realtek (crab logo) chip. I'd say go for it and let us know how the video quality is!
  16. YveltalGriffin

    Question Some questions from a noob.

    I'd be concerned about the amp not being able to drive both the LCD and an external monitor. That happens with composite video sometimes. You could always turn the internal screen off with a switch if you wanted to. I personally really like lithium polymer batteries, but it all comes down to...
  17. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Identifying a Wii's Revision Based off of Serial Numbers

    Revision: RVL-CPU-40 Serial: LU83456170-8 Color: Black
  18. YveltalGriffin

    Question Some questions from a noob.

    Yes, connecting things directly will be necessary. I imagine you'll still need an RGB amp, unless the LCD can work with the unboosted signals straight from the N64. Same with the AV port; you'll definitely need an amp to get a good picture on an external TV. You're fine soldering to the pins...
  19. YveltalGriffin

    Question Some questions from a noob.

    I know for a fact the 5.6" Dalian LCD takes RGB. The 5-incher probably does also.
  20. YveltalGriffin

    Question Some questions from a noob.

    Hi, and welcome to BitBuilt! Let's see if I can clarify some things for you. Some screens do accept regular 240p RGB with composite sync. I know that certain Dalian Good Display brand modules accept it. Those are expensive, though, so you'll need to find a datasheet or ask around if you have a...
Back
Top