Search results

  1. YveltalGriffin

    Secret Santa 2020: Post your gifts here!

    My gift arrived! The second I saw Gunnar's name on the box, I knew I was in for a treat. Holy crap... a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing G-Boy kit?! As always, Gman sets the bar insanely high!!! This is definitely getting a direct drive and IPS 640x480 panel slapped into it. (Assembling it will be my...
  2. YveltalGriffin

    Question Is this salvageable?

    That component is C602, and it's an 0402 1uF ceramic cap. The Wii will probably work fine without it. There's plenty of decoupling capacitance nearby on the 3.3V rail already. If you want to be cautious and replace it, you can steal a 0.1uF cap from elsewhere on the motherboard. Maybe C122 or...
  3. YveltalGriffin

    AVEflex: Wii AVE Relocation FPC

    AVEflex is my flexible printed circuit board (FPC) for relocating the Audio-Video Encoder (AVE) on 4-layer Wii motherboards. AVEflex is intended for OMEGA trims where analog video is needed and avoids the sacrificial daughterboard method currently used for AVE relocations. Supported motherboard...
  4. YveltalGriffin

    Question Omega trim info?

    As someone who trims lots of OMEGAs, the RVK compendium is your best friend. It provides every answer to every pinout question anyone could ever and will ever ask about 4 layer Wiis. Take some time to get familiar with it and the Wii motherboard and things will start to make sense. Plus...
  5. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Wii U R&D Thread (WURD)

    I'm on it. Prototype U reg board is on this weekend's agenda.
  6. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Wii U R&D Thread (WURD)

    If this is any indication, then yes, definitely. The eMMC uses basic 4-bit mode just like SD cards (hence why you can dump it with an SD card reader) so it shouldn't be finicky. Flex PCB aside, you could just cut out the section of board with the NAND and eMMC. Nintendo provided handy dummy...
  7. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Wii U R&D Thread (WURD)

    Folks in the Discord are probably aware of all this, but I should post what work I did for posterity. I started sanding down a spare WUP-01 back in July, and it's a 6-layer PCB. Stackup seems to be run-of-the-mill with two internal GND planes and two internal power plane/signal layers...
  8. YveltalGriffin

    LCD inductor

    Ceramic caps aren't polarized. You can solder it on in any orientation.
  9. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Hypothetical Pi Portable

    Happy to help! Most ARM SOCs have the capability to drive these parallel RGB LCDs directly for use in cheap tablets and whatnot. The proprietary RasPi Foundation display uses a different connection though, MIPI DSI, which is a much more advanced protocol and can drive way higher resolution...
  10. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Hypothetical Pi Portable

    You can totally use magnet wire for the data lines. And I'd go with stranded wire for power and ground. It's more flexible, and not prone to breaking inside the insulation at the worst possible time! Also, a classic trick is making a power distribution board out of some stripboard to give...
  11. YveltalGriffin

    Worklog Hypothetical Pi Portable

    Using the display parallel interface on the Raspberry Pi eats up a lot of the GPIO pins, but it is much easier to solder up, removes the need for a driver board of any kind, and will be more forgiving than HDMI in terms of wire length and signal integrity. I highly recommend using it if you...
  12. YveltalGriffin

    Discussion Consoles that I think should be trimmed

    IMO, it's feasible to relocate the Wii U's two NANDs and SMC, none of which are high-speed. The problem then becomes the disc drive, which hasn't been patched out through homebrew AFAIK, and is a SATA interface. The 4 data traces go from the DD connector straight under the Latte, just like the...
  13. YveltalGriffin

    Another did I over trim thread.

    I wouldn't toss that board, btw. You can grab a NAND flex board from the BB store and trim it into an LMAO for a future project! :D
  14. YveltalGriffin

    Another did I over trim thread.

    Edit: Sorry, I circled the wrong vias. The vias for the main USB lines are still accessible! Hopefully sanding doesn't break the right-hand via's continuity.
  15. YveltalGriffin

    SNES/SNESJR Trimming?

    IMO, SNES Jr. is the only way to go. It's an easy way to guarantee you get a 1Chip motherboard, and it's the most compact motherboard revision. They pop up on eBay regularly for about 70 USD, but in my experience you have to search for just "SNES", not "SNS-101" or "SNES Jr". The rule of thumb...
  16. YveltalGriffin

    Question Wii portable in a retro case/other questions now

    If you want a 640x480 3.5" LCD, you can get the new IPS 640x480 3.5" panel with VGA. It's quite expensive, but you're paying for vivid colors, great viewing angles, and pixel density. If cost is a problem, there's always the $10 eBay 3.5" screen. It's composite-only, but doesn't look that bad...
  17. YveltalGriffin

    Question weird question about vga and hdmi

    I know this is kind of sidestepping your question, but couldn't you just use a DVI-I cable? Those are intended to carry both an HDMI-type digital signal or an analog VGA signal.
  18. YveltalGriffin

    Nvidia Shield TV Tegra X1 Mod

    That's just my PC hooked up via HDMI, running Dolphin and CEMU. TopFoison's screens are pretty gorgeous. The MIPI driver board doesn't have a scaler built in, so the device you hook up must output 1080p at all times.
  19. YveltalGriffin

    Nvidia Shield TV Tegra X1 Mod

    I've looked into this quite a bit, and it's probably doable. The first-gen Shield TV has a separate I/O board that's linked to the main board with a chunky ribbon cable... ...so you'd want to use the second-gen Shield TV from 2017, which has a more integrated all-in-one mainboard: The Shield...
  20. YveltalGriffin

    Board scan SNES Jr. (SNN-CPU-01) Scans

    The PCB Strip Club didn't have any SNES Jr. scans, so I sanded one and scanned at 2400DPI. These were made as a quick and dirty reference tool for a SNES project I'm working on, so no fancy layered files here, just the bare 150MP TIFs. :D Link to GDrive folder with scans. Link to BitBuilt...
Back
Top