Question GameCube emulator equivalent spec

Hi, so the GameCube has a power pc 486, running at 900mhz, and a GPU, running at 162(?)MHz

Would I need an equivalent pc, to be running at least them specs or am I missing something??

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Emulation is much more taxing than running natively. You need a more powerful conputer than the base specs of the Gamecube, buy a large margin

zlz1

Emulation is not as simple as just running a program as if it was native. An emulator has to translate the program's binary code and reconstruct the desired output in real time in order to run an instruction. Think of it like translating languages, running natively is like 2 french speakers talking, but emulation is like a french speaker and an english speaker communicating with the help of a third person translating their sentences, if that makes any sense.

I'm aware of the basic premise of emulation, and that IS a great analogy too mate, though not quite what I was asking. Biggup for the reply. Everyone on this site is helpful and forthcoming, which Is quite refreshing for an online forum
I guess I could've written my original post more eloquently, so as to more ask,
"What kind of perspective increase performance do need between original hardware, and emulation hardware, to compensate for the code translation, in order to be able to maintain upto spec GC performance..?"

Again, big up for the help all of ya

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
There is no definitive minimum specs for Gamecube emulation, because all games behave a bit differently under emulation. Some games perform like shit unless you're using specific audio/video plugins. There's a spreadsheet somewhere, probly on GBAtemp, that tells you which plugins are optimal for which games. Using the optimal plugins for a game lowers the hardware requirements a fair bit. My old rig was a Ryzen 3700X with a GTX1080ti and it was able to run Paper Mario TTYD and Mario Sunshine at full speed. I think I had the best plugins for them at the time (2019), and my GPU was a bit overkill, but that's the lowest bar that I personally can confirm.

Nice one mate. I'll have a look on there too. Big up for the advice, thank you

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The Steam Deck can run many Gamecube games at full speed, so you could also use that as a reference point