Worklog Zirind's 64p worklog

Zirind

Edit: This started as just a question, but I've decided to rework it into a worklog to keep myself committed to working on it.

I believe this top pin is where I should bring power in and the bottom pin where 5v should come out (as well as other places). I’m putting in 12v at the top pin, but only getting ~3.5v out anywhere that should be providing 5v according to my multimeter. Any advice would be super helpful.

(And yes I’m going to redo that solder sometime when I haven’t been soldering and desoldering it all night to frustration)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the board trimmed already? Shoot an overview pic and share it.

Make sure the joints are not cold and the ground wire to the power supply has a good joint too. If it is trimmed you need to feed a few 3v3 points, and the 5v point too. But it seems you are trying to pump 12v into the board so you can get 5v? Where are you wiring the 5v?

Not quite sure what you're trying to do so Im not sure how to help you.

Zirind

Okay, so it's absolutely possible I completely misunderstood something. Definitely first project woes. I trimmed the board super conservatively a couple years ago before life distracted me, but at the time I thought I hadn't cut off anything that'd need to be repaired. In fact, I expect that I'll need to trim it more before I'm done, but I wanted to see if I could get stuff working first.

As I understood (per the trimming guides), I thought I powered the 64 from the battery/charger at the top pin, fed 3.3v from a drop down (that's also coming from my main power), and then I could get 5v off any of the 5v areas to power the screen/amp.

Thanks for your help!
IMG_4707.jpg
IMG_4708.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Okay, so it's absolutely possible I completely misunderstood something. Definitely first project woes. I trimmed the board super conservatively a couple years ago before life distracted me, but at the time I thought I hadn't cut off anything that'd need to be repaired. In fact, I expect that I'll need to trim it more before I'm done, but I wanted to see if I could get stuff working first.

As I understood (per the trimming guides), I thought I powered the 64 from the battery/charger at the top pin, fed 3.3v from a drop down (that's also coming from my main power), and then I could get 5v off any of the 5v areas to power the screen/amp.

Thanks for your help!
View attachment 24454View attachment 24455
From these photos it looks like you've mistakenly wired your red board as a 4S (14.8v) arrangement. It's meant to take 2S (7.4v) arrangement. That'd be the source of your issues.

The red board is almost certainly dead because of this, but the N64 may have survived if you're lucky

Zirind

Ah, I see. I *think* I've fixed it. I intended it to be 2 series of 2 in parallel, but I misunderstood what bm was for. I'm still getting 12v(when plugged in) and 3.5v coming out the where the board should supply 5v. Less when on batteries, but it does stay on on battery power now too. Which it didn't before, and was going to be the next problem I tackled.
Should I assume I've fried the 64 or is there something else I should check?
1662343553996.png

Zirind

Okay, upon more research, I believe I've swapped my battery holders into a parallel configuration and wired them up properly now for real. It'll probably be worth ditching the holders in the long run. Plugged in, I'm getting 11.6v in and 3.46v where I'm expecting 5v. On battery power, I'm getting 6.9v and 4.6v respectively. I'm thinking I probably killed the 64 at this point, but I'd still appreciate any other advice.

1662438043818.png

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The BMS is still working? Colour me surprised..... Can't really help on the N64 side sadly, not my area

Zirind

The BMS is still working? Colour me surprised..... Can't really help on the N64 side sadly, not my area
It seemed to work, but I switched to a new one anyway just in case. I bought a bunch at once since they're cheap. Appreciate your help!

Zirind

Okay, so I've got a new board and power to my screen is success! So definitely fried something in the old one. Time to trim the new one and see if I can keep it working.
zorindsystem.jpg

Zirind

Okay, this is starting to be a bit of a graveyard of boards, but an accidental swap of wires killed a second video board. Oops. And then I decided to try to get sound while I was waiting for the new board to come in. I had an amp and was getting some sound, but it only worked well when I powered the amp with 12v from a barrel jack. So, as an experiment, I decided to power it from my power switch instead of the 5v I was giving it and despite it being the exact same voltage, that popped the 64 AND the amp.

Nevertheless, I'm nothing if not persistent, and I'm determined to learn this. So, with hopefully my last incarnation, I've got a board, still powered by batteries, and a mostly successful screen going! There is an issue with the screen that I need to solve, but I'm pretty happy I'm getting there. (and running out of replacement board money lol).

Screen issue video, lines on screen. This didn't happen when I powered it via the barrel jack, so I wonder if the 5v isn't enough. Or perhaps I need to remove the regulator I'm powering it via, but I've killed so many boards I'm a bit shy about messing with it.

zorindsystem2.jpg