Worklog Yet Another Ashida Worklog

I realized I am probably going to have many questions so why not make a worklog.

To start I mostly wired up a wii to test it
Front.JPG
Front-2 .JPG
back.JPG
back 2.JPG

I just need to connect the screen and a battery. Speaking of which, what is the best way to connect the battery? I don't know if I want to solder directly to it so I thought maybe taping the wires to each side?

*Update*
I finished wiring and booted it up and it works!
Working!.png

Last edited:

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
I just need to connect the screen and a battery. Speaking of which, what is the best way to connect the battery? I don't know if I want to solder directly to it so I thought maybe taping the wires to each side?
You mean for testing or in the case itself?, if testing you should use a battery mount.

New update!

I took a "break" to wait for the case to arrive but in the meantime some stuff got done.

Both of the Ashida boards are now loaded up with all the other boards, buttons, and pots
IMG-3657.jpg

I burnt off a solder pad while trying to solder the ribbon cable
IMG-3655.JPG

But I was able to run a single wire along with the ribbon cable
IMG-3656.jpg

I also printed out the vga mount in PETG
IMG-3653.JPG

The screws I had seemed to be too long so I trimmed them so the threaded part was less than 3.25mm
(Original on the left and trimmed on the right)
IMG-3654.JPG

The path ahead seems pretty clear so I think I just need to allot some time to building the portable.

Last edited:
Big day, I got the buttons and wired it up
buttons.JPG

Power
pwr.JPG

Full thing
Full thing.JPG

Wii
closer look.JPG

Initially I wired up vga but it didn't work. Thinking it might be the input I wired up the controls to try and change the source, but that wasn't it. So for now I temporarily wired up composite and that worked.
some sorta error of smthn idk but it workes so thats cool.JPG

I can't find the usb->microsd adapter that came with the pms so I used a random one so that might be the reason for RVLoader not working but I don't know.

Edit: I realised vga probably didn't work because I messed up the pinout on the screen driver board. I thought I figured it out by looking at the vga cable but I could have gotten it wrong. If someone knows the correct pinout for this driverboard then that would be a great help.

Last edited:
It's Alive!!! I found the usd adapter and microsd card!
unnamed.jpg

The only few problems I have left are:
1. The speakers stopped working I can hear audio through the headphone jack.
2. I still don't know what's wrong with the vga
3. The temperature readout says -237.1C even though the T- is soldered

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
It's Alive!!! I found the usd adapter and microsd card!
View attachment 22972

The only few problems I have left are:
1. The speakers stopped working I can hear audio through the headphone jack.
2. I still don't know what's wrong with the vga
3. The temperature readout says -237.1C even though the T- is soldered
1. Assuming your wiring is good, the speakers make contact from pressure so if everything isn't screwed together nicely then they may appear to not work.
2. Did you set the MODE pin high?
3. It could be that the i2c connection is not good. Check that SCW and SDW are connected properly.

1. Assuming your wiring is good, the speakers make contact from pressure so if everything isn't screwed together nicely then they may appear to not work.
2. Did you set the MODE pin high?
3. It could be that the i2c connection is not good. Check that SCW and SDW are connected properly.
Ok the issue with the speakers was pressure as i didn't have the boards fully screwed in.
For the vga I completely forgot the mod pin so I soldered the wire. I checked all of the video lines and they are all connected but I get not video output.
unnamed-1.jpg

I didnt get to try the SCW and SDW because I get no video signal to check but it seems like that might have been the issue

Last edited:
Update:
I cannot for the life of me get VGA to work. I twisted new wires and then soldered them checked all continuity and everything. Are there any wires I am or might be missing?

IMG-3762.JPG
IMG-3763.JPG
IMG-3764.JPG

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
You only need a single colour line to know if VGA is syncing correctly, so focus on the HV connections and making sure the MODE via is set to 3.3v.

I resoldered H and V sync, the green chanel, and the MODE wires. When I solder the mode wire composite stops working so I know thats good. I checked all the continuity between the other 3 wires and set the screen to vga. Unfortunately I get no video out. Maybe there is just something wrong with the wii motherboard.
IMG-3782.JPG
IMG-3784.jpg

The last issue I don't really know how to solve is the battery readout is stuck at 1%. I once charged it and the reader went up to 60% but then very quickly went back down to 1%. I am still able to play it for well over an hour but I never know how charged it really is. Also, it might be unrelated but the power light has never worked. It was re-wired and the continuity checked but it doesn't turn on.